Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I ran across this Michael Parks Billiard on Ebay and thought no way will it come in at a price I could live with, but I threw in a low ball bid anyway. I just opened my email and could not believe I won the thing for 144.37 delivered. I have been pining for a Parks for a long time watching peck grab one after another but could never afford a new one. I just saw a Paarks last week go for over 400.00 on ebay so figured this would also go for too much. Anyhow here is a pipe that I believe will be a great smoker and I am psyched to finally grab a Parks pipe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Harris, that was a heckuva deal. I was watching that pipe with interest, but couldn't pull the trigger. Things are a little bit too tight at the moment for discretionary spending.
That being said I also have an early, rusticated, Parks' pipe of similar vintage to yours and it is a wonderful smoker. Yours and mine may be older than some of the beautifully blasted pieces Mike has turned out over the last couple of years, but the engineering is still there.
May you have many wonderful smokes on that pipe, my friend.
-- Pat
PS - Here's a picture of the one I was gifted:

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Harris, what are your thoughts on the stem-to-shank transition? It surprises me to see artisan pipes with a step-down like that, but being an artisan pipe, it must be by design.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
ericthered, I think the transition was done on purpose to give it a certain look. I am also not crazy about it but for the coin I can live with it.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Congrats Harris! She is a beauty and a hell of a deal. Hope she smokes like a champ for you.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I almost bid on that one but have a commission from him. Damnit I still shoulda bid!! Congrats! Crazy good deal you got!!! INSANE deal.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah that's messed up... I was watching quite a few auctions and that parks was in the midst of it and I overlooked it somehow. You got VERY lucky!!!! It happens but not often! I bet if that auction had ended either later or earlier it would've gone for closer to $250-$300.

Dec 24, 2012
Nice going. I will be interested to find out how you think it smokes and your view on the comfort of the button. I recall some time ago someone here bought an early J Alan pipe and wasn't pleased with the button. I believe Jeff Gracik himself chimed in and indicated that was a very early pipe and that he has gotten much, much better.
I believe your Parks is an 06 so Mike was just a pup back then. I hope that you don't have a similar experience. In any event, you won't lose money on that pipe.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Harris, what are your thoughts on the stem-to-shank transition? It surprises me to see artisan pipes with a step-down like that, but being an artisan pipe, it must be by design.
I love that pipe but, am I the only one who noticed the 'weak blast'? LOL :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice coments guys. It was listed as rusticated but it sure looks like it could have been blasted. It has a nice consistent grain to it and honestly I couldn't care less as I just wanted a Parks pipe that looked half way decent for really short money. I predict it is going to be a great smoker and that is what I care about more than the looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.