PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Fellas,

One of the soldiers had to go home unexpectantly and gave me 2 tins of pipe tobacco since I am just starting up. He claims they are dried out. Is there a way to re-moisent them or whatever its called? I hope they can be saved, there is an aromatic that smells amazing.
Thanks

Jim

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jim:
If the tobacco is springy and has give then fire up a bowl.
I don't know what resources you have available but earlier this week I purchased eight 10 gram sampler packs of the new Comoy's Cask #1 Double English.
They were toastier than I care for so I dumped the packs in one of my wife's Pyrex baking pans. I saturated a couple of paper towels with distilled water and stretched them over the top of the Pyrex pan and then sealed the whole kit and caboodle with Saran Wrap. Eighteen hours later I had moist, pliable tobacco which required about thirty minutes worth of airing time for me to smoke.
Hoss, if you're in the field or at a base with a field kitchen, try and find a sealable sandwich bag - or larger - and do the same thing as Rogue suggested. I'm not a big fan of laying anything wet directly on tobacco but that damp piece of paper towel will work wonders unless you've inherited "dust".
Take care and get home safe.
Fnord/Also a Jim

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I successfully rehydrated a ten year old tin of "Early Morning Pipe" by laying a damp paper towel over the open tin, then closing the lid over it. 24 hours later the tobacco seemed a lot more moist.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Ok, just checked both tins. Yes, both are as dry as can be. But since I am new, I dont know how dry is to dry, plus I dont give up. I have set up the Davidoff tin like you suggested. Since Easter is coming up, I will keep the towel moist for no more than three days. If it hasnt risen from the grave by then it will be a sign from God that it isnt meant to be.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Well I checked it and it is deffinately coming back. Being a new pipe guy, I dont know juat how moist or springy it needs to be. I changed out the paper towels for new damp ones and sealed it up again. I figure by tomorrow it should be fine. Then again, my first pipe probably wonr arrive until the 5th or so.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Trailboss I love those rehydration discs that are about the size of a quarter but twice as thick. I was very impressed when I put one in my tobacco pouch to re-animate some Condor and next day hey presto just like new!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You don't want the tobacco to stick together when you pinch it between your fingers.I suppose in the desert it's going to dry pretty quickly. If you wish, you can simply pack a bowl, place your lips over the tobacco in the bowl and blow some breathe through it. That will likely give enough moisture to give the blend a try.That will also give you an idea of somewhat proper moisture too. Good luck, stay safe!

Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.