PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
I have an estate Karl Eric pipe with a bent, saddle stem. The stem has a mark like a Z with a small, solid white triangle right behind that. It does not look like the Karl Eric mark (or even remnant of it) listed in the pipephil.eu. I am going to guess that it is a replacement. At any rate, the stem opening seem constricted all the way through the length. Draw is moderately okay, but it can get plugged fairly easily even with lint from a pipe cleaner. Is there a fool-proof way (for an idiot) to open it slightly?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you have any drill bits that are close to the size of the opening on the tenon hand turn it in a fraction and test it. you don't want to go too big so you don't expand the tenon. If the issue is close to the button then a small hand saw may do but if you're uncomfortable with that then send ot out.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Thank you, papipeguy. Just realized I probably should have posted this in the pipe maintenance section; perhaps a kindly moderator will move it. At any rate, just checked the draw of the Karl Eric against my new Big Ben, and they do seem similar although the Karl Eric does seem a tad less open. As to the location of the "problem", think it is above the tenon and below the tip - sort of most of the way in the middle. There is enough bend that I know I cannot get a drill bit to solve the problem from the bottom, nor would taking a bit off the tip help. Think I am resigned to living with it for awhile to see if the "problem" is me!

Status
Not open for further replies.