PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Fix for photobucket
Saw this, haven't tested it yet, but several folks on another forum say they work.
One for Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix/?src=cb-dl-created
And one for Chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=en

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is an interesting idea with potentially landmark legal and financial implications for businesses. Photobucket makes linking images to third party servers "pay for play" feature. Google write an app that effectively hacks Photobucket's permissions so that images can be displayed on remote servers without paying Photobucket's exorbitant fees. Let the legal actions begin!
Odds are, if this works, Photobucket will be forced to charge a membership fee for any and all services or your images go poof! No free services. Or, Google will get the shit sued out of them. Either way, highly interesting.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
One of the best features I've found with the forum album is that even when you are deleting pics from the album to clear up clutter, the images remain in threads you posted them in.

The whole third party thing makes sense if a web-designer is using Photobucket to save space on their server. But, the whole idea of using Photobucket is to share with friends and family. It doesn't make sense that I couldn't share a picture on a forum, since I am not profitting from it, nor am I the owner of the forum server. IMo sharing an image on a forum just got tangled into the net that they've created to stop web-designers who are mooching. But, that is just my guesstimating. In swapping emails with Photofucket, they are priced to stop freeloading web-designers. When i explained what I wanted to use the images for, they just sort of appologized and said, "oh well," we cant taylor fit the programming. I don't see a fix or workaround being an issue, IMO, since we are not using the images the same way a designer would. But, I don't work for Photobucket.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I don't use them either, (I left all my pics on their site to spite them) but posted the links to help someone who may be trying to repair old threads. I know folks on other forums who are busy right now scraping up pics to enable them to make PDF files of the broken threaads or post the images directly on the forum or a new host.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for the idea! For those with an investment of time with Photobitchit, perhaps that will work.
Increasingly I've become a fan of this site's album, esp. since I learned how to post larger images from it. Otherwise, it's Imgur and Postimage.

Jan 8, 2013
I've started using Imgur. Trying to get the feel for it since I was so used to Photosuckit after using them basically forever. But I just can't bring myself to use Photosuckit anymore. I can understand, to a degree, charging a fee, and I did find another site that does charge a fee, but it was the same amount for 5 years that Photobucket wanted to charge for a month.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I installed the Chrome browser extension and it works great. So thanks, nevadablue, for that information!
I've switched to Imgur, but I really missed a lot of the old photos forum members have added through the years using Photobucket.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I upload pics to the album feature here too. I'm playing around with a few other photo posting/sharing options too. Frankly, I'm torn between Flickr, Imgur & maybe Instagram options.

Jun 27, 2016
I loaded the extension and it does work, but I started using Flickr even before any of this became an issue because Pbucket generally sucked to use anyway. It was mostly impossible to use, actually. I'm sure that if I were to go to their website right now, there would be tons of pop-ups and re-directs, and nothing related to the images would actually be clickable until the page finishes loading, which basically never happens.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Ken:

Just added the Chrome extension, and the many images I've published here now show... again. Thanks.

Hopefully others using Firefox or Chrome will add -- to be able to view images added by the many members who used Photophuckit.

And if that ultimately fails... other fixes will follow to restore all the images here within the forum.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Like ashdigger, I fixed my Photobucket by deleting 2,100 photos and switched to Postimage. PB had more bells and whistles (sub albums) but I no longer trusted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.