PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
My first pipe, which is admittedly a cheap pipe made out of pear wood, developed a bubble on the outside of the bowl. It looks to be whatever finish was used over the actual wood. When I touched it, park it it flaked off. It's right above the stem so I'm wondering is this a sign of my doing something wrong or just the quality of the pipe. Since this was my first pipe I need to know if I should just retire it and save it, I'm sentimental that way, or is it alright. I'll post a picture of it when i figure out how to do so on here. Or you can go on Instagram and see it. Just search for @nitemair08

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You can't smoke the finish. If the pipe is working OK for you, keep smoking it. Some pipes, including more expensive pipes, develop bubbles if they're finished with a lacquer finish. I would suggest that you get a couple of cobs so that you can rotate you pipes or try different blends without getting blend cross talk.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
It looks to be part of the lacquer maybe got a little too warm, the wind blew a bit and the flame could have touched it a bit. The pipe is fine otherwise and I have 5 other pipes (None of which are expensive) including 1 Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe which I rather enjoy. I try and rotate them and let the pipes rest for at least 24 hours, if not 48 hours.
When I first got this pipe, it was apart of a starter kit sort of thing to try and nothing mentioned "breaking in" a pipe. I've since learned how to do that and I've done so on all the others. This first one got a bit of a rough start haha.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Heck, if that bubble annoys you, don't hesitate to remove the pipe's finish completely. For smooth pipes, sandpaper works quickly, and you'd be surprised how easy it is -- and how nicely it will smoke. Just a simple coating of carnauba wax completes the job. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No worries, you did nothing wrong.
Here's a way to post photos-
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Hopefully this works then.
IMG_20180524_154917.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
For sure that pipe is not briar, and for sure where it peeled is "end grain", so the wood was trying to expel moisture through the pores and just steamed the finish off. Pipe will be fine but yeah, go ahead and scrub the rest of that plastic casing off!

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah, as others have said, just sand that ugliness off. I would recommend a higher grit so as not to compromise the shaping in any way. No 60 grit or lower. 120 grit should be a good start, but sand lightly until you have bare wood and work your way up to higher grits for a super smooth finish. You can stain it, if you like with Fiebing's leather dye. But personally, I'd leave it natural and let it patina naturally. Without that lacquer finish it should smoke like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.