Possible Bad News For Latakia Lovers

(74 posts)
  1. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

From pipestud's site.

https://www.pipestud.com/latakia-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 months ago #
  2. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If Latakia goes away I'm going to be in a world of hurt, because it's my favorite leaf. I love my English and Balkan blends. I'm hoping it sticks around a lot longer, but if not I guess I'll be stocking up on a few blends. More so than I already am.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If the loss of McClelland taught me anything, it is that having a backup supply of something you love is imperative in pipe smoking. The thing that makes this a bit of a bummer for Latakia lovers is that Latakia mellows over time. Thanks for passing along the heads-up to us, Embers.

On a pipe adventure
    Steve
    Posted 3 months ago #
  4. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Yeppp. Time to stock up.

Pierre
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

Agree...Time to stock up.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Damn... just started experimenting with this stuff and really love it. Time to stock up I guess, what else is new ! Nothing good lasts forever.

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  7. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Until I hear or read some reasoning from a reputable source, I won't be hitting the panic button yet. I will be watching for the next blog post

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I don’t know... I missed the boat with McClelland and by the time I found out all my favorite blends were wiped out.
    Hate to be in that situation again.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

I swear these rumours are just circulated periodically to keep tobacco producers rich.

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had been planning to start bulking up on a bunch of stuff I liked, starting with a bunch of Virginias, but whether or not this is true and the latakia starts dwindling, I might just start with some English and/or Balkan blends first.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Hmmmmm... interesting.

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now, get out there and Buy, hya hya!!!

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  13. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I swear these rumours are just circulated periodically to keep tobacco producers rich.

I remember people saying that the tales of McClelland and Dunhill's demise couldn't be true. Look how that turned out.

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I've got a lifetime's supply of mostly Syrian blends should I ever start liking them again, so there'll be no competition from me.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I remember people saying that the tales of McClelland and Dunhill's demise couldn't be true. Look how that turned out."

Yep. Whenever you hear about something scary, just put your head down and say, "That can't happen here" over and over again. Works every time.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We should all be buying as much as possible anyways, right? It's a part of the PipesMagazine creed. We just have to keep the heard moving in the right direction. Thanks Embers. Buy it, even if you don't like it. One day you will, and if you don't buy it, where will you be?

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

When does the next blog post occur?

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not much of a Latakia man but must confess to finding this a little depressing.

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ Me as well. That's too bad.

I never have grown a taste for it. Have a bunch of Syrian squirreled away that will be future trade bait.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Rumors about Cyprian Latakia have been circulating for the past several years. Eventually, yeah, it will stop being produced. When? Your guess is as good as mine.

But this much I will predict. Blends of every genre that you like are going to go bye-bye without warning. That's been going on for the past couple of years and it will continue. So it there's a blend that you would really miss were it to become deceased, put some away while you still can.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 months ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd sorely miss Lat, but it is hardly the centerpiece of my pipe smoking. It is more the trend of blends suddenly missing, as mentioned in sable's post, that makes me uncomfortable. I can shift around and can enjoy a fairly wide variety of blends and single leaf, but I don't like the idea of old favorites being suddenly missing in action, and the concept of products being unavailable by decree, however well-intended the decree may be. The public health community pros feel they must be doing something, but as with a lot of human activity, the intent and the consequences are frequently at disparity.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A couple of years ago they were producing record breaking amounts of Latakia. It'll be interesting to see if pipestud has a real lead on this. He might.. he probably knows some blenders that know some distributors, that know some importers, that know some exporters, that know some farmers. We shall see. I find it hard to believe based on the amount of tobacco being recently produced but I'll wait for the next blog from pipestud (with one finger on the buy it now button for bulk latakia).

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. johnbrody15

johnbrody15

Login to Send PM

Rumors about Cyprian Latakia have been circulating for the past several years. Eventually, yeah, it will stop being produced. When? Your guess is as good as mine.

But this much I will predict. Blends of every genre that you like are going to go bye-bye without warning. That's been going on for the past couple of years and it will continue. So it there's a blend that you would really miss were it to become deceased, put some away while you still can.

That's the reasonable answer I was looking for to quell my initial fear.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

The thing that makes this a bit of a bummer for Latakia lovers is that Latakia mellows over time.

Lightmybriar - I think that's an important point. We can cellar all we want, but if new production stops, all Latakia lovers will be worse off since they won't be able to enjoy the blends they love at the optimal time for smoking.

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

The heat death of the universe is nearly upon us in any event. Enjoy what you can, while you can, 'cause we're all doomed in the end anyway. Cue, Monty's Python's "Life's a Piece of Shit" ....

Still, it was an interesting article and not entirely unexpected. I've seen so many things disappear lately that I just realized, DAMN, I'm getting old.

For those who have the resources and the interest it is way past time to build your cellar. If you don't have the resources or the interest in building a cellar, enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm going to go enjoy some Frog Morton Across the Pond now.

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A couple of years ago they were producing record breaking amounts of Latakia. It'll be interesting to see if pipestud has a real lead on this. He might.. he probably knows some blenders that know some distributors, that know some importers, that know some exporters, that know some farmers. We shall see. I find it hard to believe based on the amount of tobacco being recently produced but I'll wait for the next blog from pipestud (with one finger on the buy it now button for bulk latakia).jitterbugdude

It has been way more than a couple of years ago that record breaking amounts of Latakia was produced, jitterbugdude, but you sure hit the nail on the head regarding the chain of command on how to get to the bottom of this story. I'm still working on it and learning something new every day!

Pipestud
    Posted 3 months ago #
  27. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Steve, the entire pipe world is waiting with baited breath for you to come up with the info. Thousands upon thousands of people are depending on you. No pressure or anything but we expect a full report by your next update on Saturday by 11:00 am CST. Don't disappoint us.

Oh yeah, I don't smoke any Latakia so it isn't an issue for me. I just want to see you sweat is all.

Harris
    Posted 3 months ago #
  28. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL!

Just knowing you, Harris, causes me to sweat and break out in hives every day.

Pipestud

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOLOLOL, good one Steve.

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn it! Up until now Lat blends were relatively easy to get. Say goodbye to those days, the herd has been alerted and those with deep pockets will end up buying out everything that the working class pipe smokers can’t afford in one go. I have been noticing blends like Arango Balkan Supreme have been out of stock for some time now, that blend totally sucks so when it comes back in stock, stay away, you’ll thank me later.

But seriously, if Cyprian Latakia is going away, that will be a huge loss for the community! It is such a unique leaf and there is so much that it can be used for. I’m about to tear up :cry:now.

Posted 3 months ago #
  31. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Geez Maltese Falcon was hard enough to get restocked last time...

Posted 3 months ago #
  32. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

This is my fault because I returned to pipe smoking last year and I really like latakia.

I used to really like EMP, Nightcap, Frog Morton's Cellar, and St. James Woods too, and look what happened to them.

Posted 3 months ago #
  33. scottfree

scottfree

Login to Send PM

If Cyprian Latakia goes away, I will stop pipe smoking. All of my pipes and my meager cellar will go up for auction. Plain and simple.

Find what you love, and let it kill you.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  34. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The hits keep coming.

Posted 3 months ago #
  35. bazungu

bazungu

Login to Send PM

I read somewhere, I believe it was a Dutch Pipe Smoking Forum, of someone who went to Cyprus for holiday and once there thought to go visit some tobacco fields/ latakia processing plants. He was told almost no(or none) latakia was made in Cyprus anymore and most of the latakia comes from Turkey which would not be a surprise as Cyprus is quite small while Turkey is huge with probably some place with similar terroir as in Syria/Cyprus and the same kind of trees that are used for processing growing as well.
    Is this true? No idea. But in some way it does make sense that Cyprus does not and cannot provide latakia for the whole world.

Posted 3 months ago #
  36. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bazunga, if you went to LaPoche in St James, you would say that St James can't possibly supply the world with perique also. The entire production of perique from LaPoche could easily fit into my garage... and possibly leave room for my bicycles and the lawnmower. Maybe less perique is used in blends, or maybe some companies are buying "fake" perique, or maybe just possibly, there really isn't that large of a market for pipe tobacco... or non-aromatics, anyways. We do make up a very small minority of pipesmokers, which is also a very small percentage of smokers in general.

Posted 3 months ago #
  37. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

This is Part II:
    https://www.pipestud.com/is-cyprian-latakia-dead-or-alive/
    Thanks, Pipestud!

Non Serviam
    Posted 3 months ago #
  38. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The total amount of perique used vs latakia is very small from what I've read. How many OTC blends have perique in it? You are correct, we are a very small portion of the pipe smoking world. Much of the pipe smoking world smokes Carter Hall and other OTC blends that do not contain perique. If you asked most pipe smokers what a VaPer was, they'd probably tell you it was one of those plastic things people suck on to get nicotine and flavoring.

Posted 3 months ago #
  39. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like the Black Frigate will be setting sail for the Mediterranean to "safe guard" a hold's worth of bales. Lord help them if the Captain doesn't like the quality.

Posted 3 months ago #
  40. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

The Captain's not a big fan of Latakia!

Posted 3 months ago #
  41. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go out now and BUY BUY BUY! Buy buy buy and then buy some more. I don’t know about y’all but I’d rather be living under a bridge with a lot of tobacco on hand than in a home with none. Kidding??? I don’t know anymore. I love my Latakia blends so, I’m selling my house to afford the rest of that Lat laden blends on the market. But seriously, I’ve got to stay away from the forums man. When I took about an 8 month break, I didn’t make one tobacco purchase. Now that I’ve been back I’ve made countless of purchases. I’m not fond of how Lat blends age so I’ve never stocked up on them so this does have me slightly worried. If I ignore the problem, maybe it will go away.

Posted 3 months ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hawky, if you give up on Latakia, you might as well give up smoking pipes altogether and send your Condor and St.Bruno to me

Posted 3 months ago #
  43. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

I’m not fond of how Lat blends age so I’ve never stocked up on them so this does have me slightly worried.

Hawky, I'm curious: what don't you like about how Lat blends age? Do you find that they get kind of funky? More old tire-ish?

Posted 2 months ago #
  44. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

I read somewhere, I believe it was a Dutch Pipe Smoking Forum, of someone who went to Cyprus for holiday and once there thought to go visit some tobacco fields/ latakia processing plants. He was told almost no(or none) latakia was made in Cyprus anymore and most of the latakia comes from Turkey which would not be a surprise as Cyprus is quite small while Turkey is huge with probably some place with similar terroir as in Syria/Cyprus and the same kind of trees that are used for processing growing as well.
    Is this true? No idea. But in some way it does make sense that Cyprus does not and cannot provide latakia for the whole world.

This story is 100% true. When I was on the Inter Tabac Fair in Dortmund, Germany, Per Jensen of MacBaren even confirmed it. Please see the update below my Latakia blogpost: https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/latakia-lover/

Posted 2 months ago #
  45. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@arno665 Thanks for the blogpost link

Posted 2 months ago #
  46. bazungu

bazungu

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the link Arno! I was really hoping I did not just dream that whole story haha!

Posted 2 months ago #
  47. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the informative link arno. Sounds like Latakia is the cigar equivalent of maduro. Obviously different processes but similar in that it has special post processing/curing that changes the leaf. I never liked many maduro cigars which may explain why I'm not a huge latakia fan.

Also sounds like the demise of latakia isn't imminent as the Cyprian Latakia is actually being sourced in Turkey now. And apparently has been for quite some time.

Posted 2 months ago #
  48. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

buying as much as possible anyways, right? It's a part of the PipesMagazine creed

Dang right, Cos.

[:rofl:]

The Captain's not a big fan of Latakia! [:rofl:]

I HAVE heard it said that he's also a HUUUUUGE fan of overly cased aromatics. Captain Blacks Grape & Maple Syrup, for example.... [Totally Innocent Look Skyward]

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  49. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hawky, if you give up on Latakia, you might as well give up smoking pipes altogether and send your Condor and St.Bruno to me

Nice try, David... not gonna happen.

Hawky, I'm curious: what don't you like about how Lat blends age? Do you find that they get kind of funky? More old tire-ish?

In my experience the Latakia just fades to much leaving the blend tasting flat and boring. I prefer a Lat blend relatively fresh but it’s looking like I’ll be stocking up on a few favorites just in case.

Posted 2 months ago #
  50. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hoosierpipeguy

Also sounds like the demise of latakia isn't imminent as the Cyprian Latakia is actually being sourced in Turkey now. And apparently has been for quite some time.

I think that might have stopped a while ago. Otherwise why would the distributor be running on old scrap Latakia & taking back-orders for stuff supposedly to be grown in Lebanon?

Posted 2 months ago #
  51. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Rise and fall and potential rise again of Cyprian Latakia was really a fun subject to research. I sure wish that I could have produced a blog with a definitive answer for everyone, but as those of you who read the blog know, it's still a question mark. I tend to be a Pollyanna in most matters, and as long as I know there is more on the way, then I'll just be comforted by that thought... for now anyway.

Pipestud

Posted 2 months ago #
  52. scottfree

scottfree

Login to Send PM

From what I can detect, the scrap latakia is in use in some of my favorite blends. For instance, the newer batch of Pirate Kake is not even half as good as the older stuff. It's really dry and twiggy. I could not even smoke a full bowl of it. Very disappointing. I hope the new stuff grown on Lebanon is a better replacement.

Posted 2 months ago #
  53. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

the newer batch of Pirate Kake

How new? My year old jar of Pirate Kake is unbelievably good. Sure hoping they didn't screw it up...

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 2 months ago #
  54. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Interesting. I just got a pound of PK from SPC a couple weeks ago. It’s jarred up now. Was going to let it sit until next fall but tomorrow I’ll break into it and see what I think.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 2 months ago #
  55. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the year 3000, Prince Albert will be the last blend standing.

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  56. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and.....let the hoarding begin.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  57. scottfree

scottfree

Login to Send PM

The Pirate Kake that is a year old is still good. The very recent stuff is using the leftover Cyprian latakia, as far as I can tell.

Posted 2 months ago #
  58. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think making a judgment that Pirate Kake is now using "leftover Cyprian latakia", based on one tin, would be a bit rash.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Posted 2 months ago #
  59. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

and.....let the hoarding begin.

Bought ten pounds of Balkan Supreme the day before yesterday, and I only like that much Latakia every now and then.

Posted 2 months ago #
  60. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

In the year 3000, Prince Albert will be the last blend standing.

I could live with that. As long as it’s the ‘original’.

Yep. If I’m alive in the year 3000 (after the dreaded 2525), I’ll enjoy the company of the old Prince.

Posted 2 months ago #
  61. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

10 pounds ! Holy shit!

Embers,I've never tried Balkan Supreme. I'll have to read the reviews. I love latakia (GLP esp.) and would hate to see it gone. Hell, 4-5 pounds would last me a lifetime (what's left of mine)

Posted 2 months ago #
  62. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Balakan supreme is good. Get some when you can find it. Maybe Embers can sell you a pound to try it out lol

Posted 2 months ago #
  63. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Is that PS-Balkan Supreme that you got Embers ?
    If so would you you say that its very latakia forward?

Posted 2 months ago #
  64. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

Is the arango and the stokkebye Balkan supreme the same stuff?

Posted 2 months ago #
  65. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Okay, with the sparked interest, I ordered 10 more pounds just in case before posting this.

Is that PS-Balkan Supreme that you got Embers ?
    If so would you you say that its very latakia forward?

It's got a nice balance but slightly oriental forward.

Is the arango and the stokkebye Balkan supreme the same stuff?

Sure is.

Posted 2 months ago #
  66. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Hey Embers is that TAD acting up again ? LOL

Posted 2 months ago #
  67. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I used to allot 2 grand per year for pipes and tobacco. I've bought the barbering equipment I needed with part of that budget and still had quite a bit left for panic shopping. Add that to the fact that my wife bought me a pipe that I'll never be able to smoke so I'll call it venting frustration.

Posted 2 months ago #
  68. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Right on brother !

Posted 2 months ago #
  69. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 months ago #
  70. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I wish my wife bought me pipes!

Anyway, my ‘new’ PK. I crumbled one of the ‘brownies’ and it does seem to have more stems/‘lumber’ than I recall. Later tonight when it gets cooler I’ll fire it up in a cob (I prefer PK from a cob) and enjoy the delicious Latakia. I’ve high expectations!

Posted 2 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   workman, jfred, alaskanpiper, chilllucky, haparnold, pipebaum81, cigrmaster, jpmcwjr, davet, lightxmyfire