PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't walk in public with a pipe much, or otherwise appear in public, but I'll say, so far, I've pretty much drawn a blank. People may just get the vibe I don't want to hear about it, which may be true. That's not my conscious attitude.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
99.5% positive. I've had people stop me on the street to say how much they enjoy the scent, how much they like the looks of the pipe I'm smoking, etc. I've even had people driving by yell "cool pipe!".
And, I've had the occasional fake cough from some old bat who's standing 30 feet away.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yeah, but my bat with the fake cough wasn't old.... And most everyone has an kind old uncle or grandpa that I remind them of. Damn! Where did those years go??

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Where can you smoke in public these days? I'm finding it near impossible to just find a smoking hotel room in most cities I travel to these days.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nothing negative, and for some reason, young people like to photograph pipe smokers.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Nothing negative, and for some reason, young people like to photograph pipe smokers.
Maybe pipe smoker is considered as endangered species. So they take a shot when find one :D

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Other than at pipe shows or events I rarely smoke in public but when I do it’s a large hand rolled cigar. 8O

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Most people seem lightly amused by my pipesmoking. I think they consider it ridiculous, but in a benign way. I don't mind really and I don't flash it. My pipesmoking is for my own pleasure and nothing else. No negative reasponses so far.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Canadian here - I never smoke my pipe out in the wild, there are few places that allow it. I suppose I could puff on my Meer as I take the kids for a walk in the stroller - now wouldn't that generate some responses

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
My experience is similar to Sable in that it's mainly positive with the occasional berk who pretends to cough when they are standing 30 feet upwind. Some seem to find it ridiculous and are not afraid to tell you while others like to talk to you about it. They mean well but sometimes you just want a smoke and not feel like an amusement piece from the past but I suppose it comes with the territory.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I too live in Canada, where it's technically illegal to smoke virtually anywhere in public.
One of my favorite things to do is sit on a bench in the park across the street from me on a summer evening and have a smoke, but I am relegated to the far corner of the park. On the few occasions where someone has walked by close enough to notice me, all I've ever gotten is a glance.
On the other hand, I sometimes sit on my balcony to enjoy a bowl and almost without fail, my next door neighbour comes out, pokes her head around the divider between balconies and says "Hey Joe, thanks for the wonderful scent. You always remind me of childhood days and my father with his pipe"

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My doctor is not fond of me bringing my pipe, unlit or empty into the treatment room. I like him a lot so when I smoked I caved, not feeling discussion would be helpful.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I don't smoke in public. I avoid the risk of some D-bag ruining my pleasure.
I once got stopped by a state cop and he asked what was that in my ashtray.
He said, "Is that a Peterson?" He was a pipe guy.
Years back, I used to go into the big box stores (Home Depot, Lowes) with a dry, unlit pipe in my mouth just to watch all the idiots fake coughing and waving ther hands as if it was lit. And of course to listen to the idiots who would tell me that there's no smoking in there. I'd smile and say, "OH. Thanks." and keep right on walking.
But these days I'm just a closet smoker.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I do not smoke in public , only because when i am out in public ny wife is dragging me to one store or another with no time to spare.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I and my friend Andre would always have lunch at a bistro place every Thursday in the East 60s. After the meal we would stand outside and have a smoke and mind our own business. For some inexplicable reason this ghastly woman teacher and about twenty of her under 6 year old charges would pass us by and she would always make loud coughing sounds. After she had done this for the third time and we were out outside smoking Andre cocked his leg and let off the most amazing fart ever much to the total amusement of 6 year old audience who were deeply impressed. The coughing annoying lady was reduced to screaming 'Stop laughing children. Come along quickly'. I would image we were their hero's for the day. There after the ghastly woman with her giggling charges always seemed to cross over the road when she saw us outside. Outside of that incident I rarely ever get any comments as I always have a pipe stuck in my mouth although I seem to get much more blow back for chewing tobacco than smoking a pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.