PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmccarthy

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
In about A week, I will be going to Portland Oregon.
Does anyone know of a good pipe shop up there?
I'll be staying in the pearl district if that helps.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
I live about 30 minutes north of Portland and can give you limited advice. First off, you'll be right next to a Rich's Cigar Store in the Pearl. Here's a map of the three locations they have. "B" on the map is the one in the Pearl. I've only been to the one on Alder Street and I hear that it's the best and biggest of the three. Second, which is where you should really try to make it, is Steven Books' House of Calabash in Oregon City. To be honest, I've never been there myself, (although I'm taking an opportunity to go there this afternoon while down that way on some separate business) but if you have ever heard talk of this guys talents you really need to try and make it there. Here's directions from Rich's in the Pearl to House of Calabash in Oregon City.

Anyways, hope that's of some help and have a fun time!
Edit:eek:ops, looks like the directions link isn't working. Here's the location of House of Calabash

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
The best one that will be close is Rich's located at 820 SW Alder St. That is a nice shop with an old established pipe customer base. Rich's also has a shop on NW 23rd Avenue if you get up in the that area. The Alder shop is the main shop. FYI, they usually have some very good sales after the first of the year.
If you happen to smoke cigars there are a few cigar bars where you can enjoy a smoke. In Oregon the smoking of pipes is not allowed in a cigar bar, and you'll be asked to put it out if you light a pipe.

logandow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
There's a really nice bookstore in Portland that covers a whole block but I can't remember the name of it. But it's definetly worth looking into.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
I'll second the House of Calabash. That is where I bought my big calabash. They usually have a good variety of estate pipes and new pipes. They will take the time to talk tobacco, and they took the time to run me through their tobacco assortments so I could smell the differences. Although their tobacco is expensive it is a treat to have someplace that will take the time to educate you on blending and pipes in general. I'd say the trip to Oregon City is well worth it just for that shop.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
logandow - You are probably thinking of Powell's Books. Surely worth dropping in there too! It's not too far from Rich's Alder St. store.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
The bookstore is Powell's, and is located at NW 10th and W. Burnside. Burnside is the N/S divider so simply count the hundred blocks to estimate the walking distance, 10 blocks West of the Willamette River and on Burnside, 100 block NW. PS - bring an umbrella.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
12736811418011128_NQ3n0jOd_c.jpg

You trying to set him up nobail? Hahaha

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
+1 on the Alder st store. Forget the 23rd street one. You can take the light rail if you do not want to walk. The Pearl is a great place in general.
+100 on The House of Calabash. Talking to Steven is a treat but they did not have a lot of stock compared to Rich's when I was there.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
Wallace is really right, wear the Columbia Coat with a Pendleton felt hat and fit in with the rest of the pipe smokers. It is much more utilitarian. And don't leave ANYTHING visible in a rental car.

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Rich's is ok but not a great selection of tobaccos beyond their own blends. the best spot in my opinion is 82nd ave tobacco. They are at 82nd and Se burnside. http://www.82ave.com/

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Also at 82nd ave you can smoke in the shop and on the enclosed porch but as others said NOT in the cigar lounge.

They are also very kind with free samples of open tobacco if you bring a pipe.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I was in portland all day today! Going to hang out in vancover tomorrow......I hear the fred myer is pretty happening.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I live in Vancouver, just across the riover from Portland, and I give a thumbs up to Riches. PS: you can smoke in the store so take a pipe along to try the samples.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
When I was at the Seattle Pipe Club meeting last Weds, someone (I think was either Gary Schrier or Matt Guss) said there was one of the best pipe stores in the USA right in Potland. I don't know which one it was. Does anyone know? The only real pipe store I've visited is Edwards in Denver which was off the hook. Boswells is now on my bucket list too.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
P.S. You have to stop at Powells but plan for a 1/2 day minimum. Probably more if you're a book nerd like I am.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Rich's Cigar store is expensive so just be aware of that. You can find better prices else where. I prefer 82nd AVE Tobacco and A Pipe. They have a smoking lounge as well. Great selection of cigars and good selection of pipe tobacco and accessories. I've heard Cascade is an awesome shop but I've never been there.

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Yeah Rich's blends are insanely expensive. For example I have two blends here I think "Balkan supreme" and "sweet oriental" that cost about 11 and 13 dollars respectively for just two ounces.

Status
Not open for further replies.