PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Just curious to know if there is anyone familiar with the Portland, OR Pipe Club? Where they meet up and what day of the month. I know they have one, but I couldn't find any details.
Also how many of you guys live in the Portland, OR and/or Vancouver, WA metro area? Looking for some fellow pipe smokers to meet up with maybe.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Found this online - but it may be out of date -
"We meet every third Sunday of the month at 2pm-6pm. Current location is ‘The New Old Lampoc’ on NW 23rd St. All are welcome! Meetings usually draw 10-30 pipe smokers. Bring your favorite pipes and tobaccos. And be ready to smoke your face off!"
From - http://www.pipetobaccodealers.com/portland-oregon-pipe-club/

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
PS - I clicked on this thread as I wondered why someone would have to choose between going to Portland or going to a pipe club! :rofl:

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Don't know about the Portland club, but every once in a while some Portland folks show up at the Seattle Pipe Club. Kind of a drive but we'd love to have ya.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'd love to go to the Seattle Pipe Club one day. I get to Olympia once a year for a weekend with a few buddies from my cigar forum and we hang out at a friends cabin for the weekend. We usually go to Smokey Joe's in Fife after taking in a Rainer's game in Tacoma.
Do you guys still hold the pipe club at Smokey Joe's? What day and time is it held?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Just checked the info on the pipe club. The establishment they were holding the meetings at had closed down due to building demolition and re-construction. It schedule to re-open this spring but no date was given. I'll have to do some more digging.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Do you guys still hold the pipe club at Smokey Joe's? What day and time is it held?
Yep, thats where we still meet. It would be a long drive but would be pretty fun though since it's a fairly easy drive.

jrww

Lurker
Jan 17, 2013
Metalhead, I'm in Beaverton and would like to be a part of an active pipe club in Portland.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Metalhead, I'm in Beaverton and would like to be a part of an active pipe club in Portland.
I've been considering starting one in my local area of Clark County, but because of all the smoking bans I'm trying to sort out the logistics. I would definitely like to join a pipe club and wouldn't mind the drive to Portland, but with my schedule only certain days work. If you find out any details let me know.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Metalhead there are a fair amount of guys from Washington and Oregon on here..maybe a PM forum member gathering someday in the future would be cool

jrww

Lurker
Jan 17, 2013
I wonder if 82nd tobacco would be interested in hosting. I know they have a smoking room. A initial meeting anywhere could be good; at least a starting point to see how much interest there is. There is a tobacco shop in Jantzen beach that could be another possible host. I have never been there so i dont know what their space looks like. I dont know what options there are on your side of the river.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@jrww -
82nd Ave Pipe and Tobacco has a cigar lounge, but they do not allow pipe smoking inside. They do have a small outside covered area and an additional courtyard area with some event tents. I've met up with several pipe smokers there and it works well. As for Paul's Cigars at Jantzen Beach, that location does not have a smoking lounge. The Paul's Cigars in Beaverton does have a smoking lounge, though I've yet to visit that location. The Paul's Cigars in Vancouver, WA also does not have a smoking lounge. I've heard that Rich's Cigars has a smoking lounge at one of there locations, but I have yet to visit their shop as well. It may be for cigar smoking only as well as I don't know.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I live in Central Oregon, and I have to say, it would be cool to do a PM meet up sometime for Oregon/Washington pipe smokers.
P.S. Next time I am in the Portland area, I will have to check out some of the B&M's that have been mentioned in the above posts. I have only ever been to Cascade Cigar. Our local B&M closed down here last year and so I have no real place to go to check out pipes in person (unless you count the few headshops)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@jndyer
I'm currently trying to organize the 2nd NW YouTube Pipe Presenters Conference for this Labor Day weekend (September). It's not looking so good as many of the YT guys from the Portland Metro area have been pretty inactive as of late so I'm having some concerns about potential attendance. It might be interesting to get the guys from the PM forum and the local YT guys together at one event. That would be a party.
Here was last years event:

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
@JNDYER - You should absolutely visit Rich's. They have two stores in downtown Portland. Both are stocked with pipes and tobacco.
@METALHEAD - I would love to get involved with a meet up. Hope you are able to get the Labor Day meet together. Even an occasional get together with the PM folks here would be cool.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Last I heard they meet at the Rose and Thistle Pub (2314 NE Broadway St Portland, OR 97232) the third Sunday of each month from 2:00-5:00. You might call House of Calabash and ask them. I know Steve Books is the "hub" of the club.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Thanks Wallace. I've not visited the Rose & Thistle, but it's now on my radar. Mr. Books seems like an interesting character. I'll keep an eye out for the club meet up notice. Thanks!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Thanks Wallace. Unfortunately there dates and times create a huge conflict for me as I work until 4pm on Sundays. Well, that sucks!
As for a PM meet up. I'm always down for a pipe meet up. 82nd Ave Pipe and Tobacco has a nice area for pipe smoking. Outdoors of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.