PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingstatue

Lurker
Jun 18, 2014
I live about 30min away from any in town activities so when I'm out and get in the mood to smoke I don't want to drive 30min or more back home. But I live in FL so I don't know how a pipe/tobacco would do in a car for hours on end at 90+ degrees. I worry about my pipes breaking in my pocket but should I be? Is there a type of pipe made for on the go? Am I just worrying to much? I've just found the joys of flake so taking that with me in my pocket is a joy but still I don't know what to do with the pipe.
Also I work no the beach and once again I don't know how tobacco would do in a car or in a backpack for hours in the sun. But I really would love to smoke on the way home.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You're right, you don't want to bake your pipes or tobacco too much, or humidify them. I wouldn't take especially fine

briars (or Meerschaums) to work. MM or OD cobs, Dr. Grabow pipes, and many moderately priced briars will weather

the car pretty well. Most won't show any effects. Take along tobacco in a pouch, a few bowls worth at a time, to be

used up in a day, or two or three. Store your tobacco at home in canning jars (Mason or Ball jars with a good seal) the rest of

the time, and you'll do fine. Yeah, flake tobacco is great -- seems to me to give a longer smoke, keep better, and

have less bite that loose tobacco, in general.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If you were in a climate that was friendly to jackets, this would be easier. It's still doable, though. I would just get a leather tobacco pouch like mso489 mentioned and carry it in a back pocket, then fit a pipe in another one. I usually carry a small Dr. Grabow Starfire billiard that I can actually stick through the gap under the pouch's flap if I want. A Czech pipe tool fits in there the same way. All that's missing after that is a good wind resistant lighter. Billiards will be easier to get into pockets. Of course, this is all just if you want to carry your pipe and tobacco away from your car, though I'm not sure I wouldn't do that all the time in your climate.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Missouri Meers are the way to go. You get the joys of enjoying a good smoke on the road, without the worry of damaging or losing your precious briars.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I also worried about keeping my pipes in a hot vehicle. But, as of yet I've had no problems. I smoke on the drive to work around 7am and leave my pipe in the truck while I work all day. Maybe some have had problems but not I. The tobacco burning in a pipe is hotter than a car or truck would get. I also never remove the stem until I get it home and the pipe has cooled. Hope this helps. That's just my opinion.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I've been thinking about trying to bring back the "fanny pack". Although, I don't think my wife will let me out of the house. They got a bad wrap. (Fanny Packs not wives) Maybe if Peterson or Dunhill came out with a pipe/tobacco pouch with a belt I could justify it.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
When I was doing some construction work I had a small cooler similar to this one that I left in my car all day. Inside I had a couple of pipes and a couple of pouches of tobacco. It still got a little warm but never as hot as the inside of the car. Also Parking in the shade helped too.
Cooler1.jpg

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I got a eyeglasses case from the Dollar Tree (a soft one but there are also semi rigid and rigid ones available. I generally put a MM legend in that with a snack size zip bag of 15 or so grams of tobacco and my pipe tool and lighter. It works really well for me: not enough tobacco to really worry about, pipe is cheap if I damage it and very portable.
I've just begun taking an old Pioneer African meer along at times instead of the cob. So far so good on that one, too.

Reactions: ErikP

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The cooler idea is great, especially for the tobacco! I agree with the MM Cobs - inexpensive, great smoke. It would be interesting to see if more of the "creaminess" came out in the heat, or would they just dry out? A Falcon or a Dr. Grabow Viking would be my second choice.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
A small amount of tobacco, reasonably well sealed, should be fine for a day. A decent pouch, or re-use an "American-style" tin (the ones with the polypropylene snap-on lids), for your daily ration would be the way to go. My guess is that your pipe should be fine, as well, but if you are concerned, then some cobs would be appropriate. I've traveled with some tobacco and pipes packed in the trunk of the car on many occasions -- including the summer when it was pretty hot -- and they've been fine.

smokingstatue

Lurker
Jun 18, 2014
Thanks much for all the great ideas, I think I'll go with the cooler tho. I have pipes I care little for that I got for extremely cheep because well they are cheep pipes, my main concern was if the pipe would crack or break and how would the tobacco hold up so I have all my questions answered. Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.