PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I just listed a portable leather pipe stand on BriarBid that I made. It is hand tooled and antiqued black. This one closes with a snap, too, not a stud or screw. You can see it and my other auctions here.
http://www.briarbid.com/100051,owner_id,other_items

Aug 1, 2012
Nice shading and edge burnishing. Just curious, what advantage is there to having a snap fastener rather than a large rivet? I'm glad to hear it's not a Chicago screw though, those are just plain evil.

Aug 1, 2012
Ah, transportation was a consideration. Guess I should have read all of the listing and not just looked at the pretty pictures.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thank you. I think good edges make a big different in how a project looks so I put a god amount of time and effort into that.
A rivet makes it into a permanent "loop", whereas a snap lets you open or close it as needed. Some folks like to snap them around a belt loop or a purse strap to carry it without fooling with it; you can't do that if it is riveted together. Also, with a snap there is no sharp pieces to catch you, your clothes, or your pipe. And no metal comes into contact at any time with the pipe with this set up.

Aug 1, 2012
I agree. Edges, good and bad, can make or break a leather product. Good info about the snaps there, I hadn't thought of all those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.