PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Does anyone own one or has anyone smoked one? Many look like they are some kind of metal. I personally do not care for the styling but obviously there are many out there who do. I see many on line retailers selling them, so there is a market. I have no intentions of ever buying one, but I am curious about them.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I've thought the exact same thing since I discovered these pipes browsing around the internet. A bit too ostentatious for me.

Aug 1, 2012
Being a car nut, I want one. Just not enough to pay what most are asking. If I find a deal, I'll let you know how they are.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I found a post on BofB forum, and the guy said he didn't like his at all. What are they going for now? Where are you finding them discounted?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am interested in them but as already sad, not for what they go for new. I am going to have to make a search on the bay so I can grab one if it ever comes up. I haven't seen one on there but I don't go there too often. Best not to tempt myself.
I think the deigns are cool. I do tend to like less traditional designs. But not something on the must have list. I would rather spend the same amount of money on a really intricate meer.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I think they are briarwood stained to look metallic, but I could be wrong.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I don't think this is one but it looks like it should be one

PurismePipe.jpg

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Hmmm I think my pipe should have a radiator thermostat and cluth driven fan. Maybe just throw an engine in it and some wheels. Hmmm or for the price of the pipe I will take a Porsche with cooling fins and a concealed pipe in the glove box or maybe a hose that comes out of the dash at the touch of a button and is attached to a road trip worthy briar bowl... The possibIlities are endless :crazy:

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
The original Porsche pipes were made around the turn of the century , as the name suggests from a design by the Porsche design bureau (who by the way also designed coffee-makers, sunglasses, pens, etc, etc.), by Oldenkott in Germany. The pipe featured a briar bowl, surrounded by an aluminum hood with 'cooling ribs'. They came in two shapes, a straight and a quarter-bent, and in a few different colour combinations of black, aluminum and natural wood. Several years later, the Gubbels company in Holland (perhaps better known for their Big Ben range) bought the rights. They made some changes to the original design and construction, most noticeably the addition of a screwed-on metal ring on the rim of the bowl, probably because the original construction was more difficult (and therefore more expensive). These were sold as "Porsche Design" pipes, in a much wider range of shapes and colours.
A Gubbels'-made pipe:

http://www.pijprokersforum.nl/download/file.php?id=932
The real deal:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i393/Dukdalf/Pipes%20for%20sale/DSC01238.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.