PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I got this recipe form the Momofuku cook book. If you are interested in Asian food, it is mostly a Korean, Japanese fusion using ingredients found in the US. Its a little fancy pants but has some basic ideas that are easy for the home cook.
Mix 1/4 cup each salt and sugar in a bowl. I use 1/2 cup if I have a large roast. Kosher salt or Hawaiian Alaea salt is nice also but every day salt will work fine.
Rub roast with salt sugar mixture and put in large nonconductive container. Cover and refrigerate over night.
Next day remove roast and discard any liquid in container. Preheat oven to 250 and cook for six and a half hours. I know it is a long time but it is worth it. It will fall off the bone!
DSC02735.jpg

Not sure if that photo will work so this is another link. This is how to use the roast as Bo Saam or Korean lettuce wraps.
http://cookforher.blogspot.com/2011/04/bossam-korean-aka-lettuce-wraps.html
The roast can be used for wraps, ramen, taco or burritos or just devour as is.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
alot of people won't eat pork. I never knew these things that Joel speaks about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84q0f4vO6nU&feature=related

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
No matter what you're eating, there's always someone telling you that you shouldn't be eating it.
Buster, bon appetit!

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Take it from a preacher of "profit" to tell you what eat???? I seem to remember the dream of a certain apostle where God tells him he can eat whatever he wants and that "nothing is forbidden". Anyways, it is pretty telling when your whole congregation laughs at you.
Is he actually being serious about eating turkey bacon and not being able to tell the difference? I may never believe another word that comes out of his mouth for that statement alone.... bye bye credibility.
It is really hard for me to even go to church because of people like him rambling nonsensically about not eating pork because it is unclean. You ever see what chickens eat? It ain't pretty.
I'm not "good enough" to be a man of God, but I am smart enough to know that many who think they are doing God's work are wasting their time doing ad saying things that God probably doesn't even care about. If they spent more time being kind and loving to prostitutes & prisoners rather than worrying about pork they would be way ahead of the game in my book.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I bet Buster eats better than Joel Olstien on a daily basis. I know who's house I would rather be at for dinner at least:)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That looks like a great recipe Buster. Another benefit of slow cooking for 6 hours is that the house smells awesome for 6 hours.
Joel has some good stuff, but this isn't it.
I prefer Vincent's point of view -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdpZG4YXELk

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I've developed my own....odd that it sounds similar. Kosher salt ,course black peper, mustard powder, and brown sugar. Rub, top, and cook.....slowly.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I have had turkey bacon... and it's tasty, but it is a night and day difference. And i believe that MY digestive system will further filter what the pig may have missed. :D

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Pork shoulder is one of the most delectable cuts of meat a man can cook and eat.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I'm glad many people wont eat pork. Just means more for me!
My wife told me a story of her first boy friend who was Jewish. He came to eat at her parents house. They served him wonton(pork) he would not eat it. So they gave him some shrimp. :D That did not go over so well.
I came along with my cast iron stomach. Went out with her grand mother for a Chinese Banquit. I ate every thing she put on my plate. Then I got the under the table kick from my then girl friend because I offered her a tripe dish! She did not want it but since I offered it to her in front of her grandmother she felt like she had to eat it. LOL I made brownie points with Gramy that day.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
While I'm not a huge pork fan I do love a well prepared pork shoulder. And I second the cast-iron. It's all we use at home. :)

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
good recipe. have jotted it down for my next pork shoulder roast, i usually only roast leg or belly and bone out shoulder for diced etc.. o and pork scotch mmmm

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks, I'm gonna try that recipe. Pigs are one of my favorite animals. Right between cows and chickens, they sure are tasty !

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Fish "breathe" in and drink the same water that they shit and piss in -- assuming that they do, in fact, actually piss.

I wonder if Joel eats "poon tang", IYKWIM. :rofl:

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Fish "breathe" in and drink the same water that they shit and piss in -- assuming that they do, in fact, actually piss.

I wonder if Joel eats "poon tang", IYKWIM
two good points to consider....both are fishy :laughat:

Status
Not open for further replies.