PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
What are some popular vintage tobaccos people look for? Other than ebay were else can you look?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
4noggins.com is a great place for vintage tins. Popular ones are older GL Pease, McClelland, Escudo, Murray era Dunhill, Three Nuns, Penzance,Two Friends, there are so many out there.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Pipestud also often has vintage tins for sale.
BTW, if you don't know what you're looking for, some eBay listings can steer you wrong. It's not unusual for a seller to say a tobacco is "no longer available" and actually mean that "this year is no longer being sold at retail." They may be offering blends that are absolutely still in production but with a couple of years age on them.
Personally, I'm not sure I'd include GLPease blends in a discussion of vintage tins, since the most highly sought blends are only about a decade old now (his Syrian range, which includes Renaissance, Raven's Wing, Mephisto, and Bohemian Scandal). But if that means "vintage" to you, that's fine. Otherwise, I'd highlight the original Dunhill and Murray-produced Dunhill blends, Balkan Sobranie, Cope's Escudo, anything from Gallaher, A&C Petersen, Sullivan Powell, key-top Rattray's tins, Craven Mixture, older Three Nuns (round tin), Bengal Slices, tinned Condor, John Cotton blends, and anything from Elephant & Castle. Be aware, though, that some of these blends haven't been produced for 30-60 years, so they truly are "vintage."
Bob

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
4noggins.com is a great place for vintage tins[/quote]
Harris
Can't find 'vintage tins' on 4noggins search--it comes up with 2 vintage labels, not 'vintage'
Where is it?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
There's a dozen to choose from here -
http://www.briarbid.com/pipe-tobacco,category,1896,parent_id,categories
$90 for a Murray's tin of Dunhill's Aperitif?! Really? Wow. If the seller gets that, I'll be stunned. (I'll also seriously consider parting with some of the 10 tins of it that I've got in my cellar.)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I am totally new to the concept of 'vintage'. I had mentioned in another post that a former president of the NY Pipe club had given me a leftover tin of 'christmas 1995' McClellands. It was wonderful even though I'm really not equipped to verbalize the flavors.
Still, $90 for a tin seems a bit steep, but I do not have a frame of reference to compare pricing.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
There was a recent seller on ebay (all his auctions expired yesterday) that basically offered the biggest motherlode of vintage tobaccos I've ever seen. BS white and 759, all the old Dunhill stuff, old Three Nuns, a bunch of old Sobranie House blends (besides BS) -- it was just ridiculous. He got a pretty penny for that stuff and it all sold.
Where the heck do people get this stuff? Estate sales?

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I understand if you really want something you'll Pay for it but the value tripling after 3 to 4 years is insane. How does one go about not getting screwed when looking into "vintage tins" ?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
BTW, I didn't mean to suggest that I think $90 is an outrageous price for a vintage tin. I just think it's quite high for a 7-8 year old blend.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.