PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I have a Savinelli Pisa 114 KS that has a small fill on the outside of the heel. Every time I smoke it (I think) it makes a popping/cracking sound and has a feel to it not unlike holding a glass of ice and filling it with warm water and slightly cracking the ice. I think it's the fill, but I'm not sure. It doesn't really bother me and it smokes fine. I just never knew what it was. It's the only pipe of mine that does this and I noticed this 'pop' before I even noticed the fill. Probably from inspecting the bowl for cracks, which is what I initially thought was happening from smoking too hot. Thoughts?

May 31, 2012
Condorlover1 had a funny story about a fill actually popping out in this thread...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/english-vs-american-pipe-smoking-history
I remember a friend smoking one circa 1986 in a pub off Sloan Square when we were treated to this loud pop as a huge piece of filler shot off the side of his pipe.

Dec 24, 2012
I have only heard the popping sound once, and that was when I smoked my first bowl of some new aromatic blends that were sent to me:

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
I had an Ardor that made that popping noise nearly every time I smoked it, but I don't think any fills were involved. It was loud and scared the hell out of me the first time it happened. Later, it just became downright annoying. I assumed it was an internal crack in the briar slipping as the pipe warmed up. I smoked it for a year or two and always expected to see evidence of a crack on the inside or outside of the bowl, but never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.