PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Good evening gentlemen, tonight was my first night smoking something other than captain black regular. I live in northern Alberta Canada and buying tobacco is not the easiest of things. After reading a lot of posts on this forum from members greatly experienced in the smoking of pipes and pipe tobacco, after sending some private msgs to some Canadian members I decided to order some tobacco from smokingpipes.com.

I ordered the following, Dunhill: Flake, Samuel Gawith: Full Virginia Flake, Solani: Aged Burley Flake - 656, and A & C Petersen: Escudo Navy Deluxe.

The price was unbelievable! Here in northern Alberta I pay 35 dollars for a single pouch of captain black regular. I know what your thinking but we don't need to get into Canada's taxes. All said and done 4, 50 gram tins was less than 2 pouches of the captain shipped to my door.

Tonight I smoked the Escudo Navy Deluxe, holy mother of god what a difference. The smoke was cold and smooth all the way to the bottom of the bowl and it stayed lit for over 45 mins and I smoked one bowl for over 1 hour 15 mins. This was a totally new experience for me. I always enjoyed the captain but this smoke was unreal.

Its going to be hard to top the experience I just had on my back porch with a home made rum and coke my tamper, my lighter and my favorite pipe.

I just thought some of you might like to hear of my mind blowing awesome end to my night.

Please if anyone has any recommendations of tobacco to try please let me know.

Cheers and have a good one!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congratulations! It sounds like a top experience. Maybe those of us who live a little closer to the source,

and aren't quite as burdened with tobacco taxes, have it too easy. Anyway, I'm glad you broke through to

a higher level of pipe smoking. With those good blends in hand, it sounds like you will have more good

smokes soon!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on moving beyond Captain Black into the world of real tobacco.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Welcome to the forum, Canadian
Roth and others have given you great suggestions for other blends and I'd start there
Good luck
Allan

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Welcome also canadianbiggame!!
Your pipe smoking journey has only just begun! Enjoy the ride!!!!!

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Welcome canadianbiggame, it's always nice to have anew friend here, and hear of such a wonderful smoking experience. As has been stated you are just beginning a fantastic journey. Congrats sir.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Welcome Canada. Glad you enjoyed the porch and pipe. Best time of day for me to relax and enjoy a bowl. Your head will spin with all the choices of tobaccos. Each blend is a journey in flavor. Have fun.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
As previously stated, Welcome to the forum and to the world of real tobacco! Sounds to me that your whole tobacco order was VA/Per variety. You may want to try some latakia blends as well. The whole frog mroton line is a good place to start. Congrats on the great smoking experience. Nothing beats a good pipe filled with quality leaf and a stiff drink. Many more to ya!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Lest us not forget Captain Black White is one of the best selling tobacco blends for a reason. But I applaud your choice to expand your horizons as well. Here's a pic for ol' time's sake.
IMAG1563-1-1.jpg

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Another favorite of folks on the forum seems to be Frog Morton Cellar, and a 100 gram tin at just over half the price you pay for a pouch of Captain Black I think you'll like it if you give it a try.
For Burleys I like MB Golden Extra, and Symphony.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Lest us not forget Captain Black White is one of the best selling tobacco blends for a reason. But I applaud your choice to expand your horizons as well. Here's a pic for ol' time's sake.
I went on an epic journey to find CBW. I know it gets a bad rap but I rather enjoy the stuff quite a bit. I know it may be the WalMart of pipe tobacco but there is a place for it.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Well, let me say that I'm off to a family / neighborhood picnic this afternoon - I'm on grill duty - and I certainly won't be smoking my standard Star of the East. I'll be piping the Captain today. All day. Ain't nothing better for a public picnic room note than the Captn. "Oh, that smells just like what my granpa smoked" ... you get the picture. I call CBW my good pipe PR blend whilst in public.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum. Escudo was the blend that opened my eye to how great pipe smoking can be. That was back in 2000 and it is still a favorite. I cellar every blend on your list except the Solani ABF, I do cellar 2 other Solani's, the 633 and 660, both are favorites and I think R. Will is a genius blender.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Congrats on the exploration, I didn't really see pipes as much more than an occassional, whimsical hobby until I looked into "higher end" tobacco and was hooked. See where the path takes you, and be sure to ask the wise ones around here where to go next when you're ready for something new-I guarantee you'll get more recommendations than you can shake a stick at!

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Thanks for all the kind words and the advice on the tobacco I cant wait to try the rest of the stuff that came in yesterday. I look forward to trying all of your suggestions as well.

"here's to good friends good drink and great tobacco"

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
although i'm not as well versed as others here in flake and VA tobaccos, I recommend Peterson Irish Flake, as well as the 3 Peter Stokkebye flakes

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Welcome to the Forum! Rule #1: Always listen to Rothnh
Example:
Samuel Gawith: Full Virginia Flake -- a really good virginia flake; I'm not a fan though, I just hate messing with it. Try the Best Brown Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.