PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Yes, I am now yet another Penzance smoker, Penzance supply, watch out! A person on the forum was nice enough to give me a whole bunch of 1oz samples of English tobaccos when I said I still after two years just couldn't find what I was looking for. So far Penzance has come the closest, it looks like it beats out Frog Morton, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, and Squadron Leader. It is a very heavy lat bomb from my initial impressions with a little something extra (tastes like perique, but there isn't any). Very complex, I dunno about that, but it sure left a nice taste in my mouth. Some medium blends are too strong for me to fully enjoy, this one seems to be just about perfect in nicotine content.
This stuff is a lot like a stronger Frog Morton in flavor, and tastes nearly identical to Dunhill's Nightcap when you smoke the dottle lol. I need to smoke it in one of my other pipes to tell if it burns well without relighting all the time because the pipe I smoked it out of for some reason needs relights no matter what goes in it. I feel I am just packing that pipe wrong, it has a good draw, but it is the only small straight billard style I own (1930's Peterson Pre-Republic Kapet).

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Penzance is lovely stuff. Blends like Squadron Leader and Old Dublin are for when I want an English that is not a lat bomb. And, IMO, beating the Frogs is not hard. :P

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Hey! I was in love with the Frog for 2 years, be gentle... I bet the instant I throw it in a corn cob, it'll behave and require very few to no relights.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
We were at the Ice Cream shop the other nite, had banana splits, wife asked me if I wanted Her Cherry. I just couldn't resist: I told her that was several boyfriends before we even met too late, and we had been married 25 yrs now

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Not dissing the Frog lovers. It's probably great for an intro to lat. But by the time I smoked it, I had been smoking lat blends for years, including some legendary old timers. It was just bleh to my taste buds. :puffy:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Love that story nsfisher! Lol hobbie, mixing it was something that defiantley popped into my head, however my rapidly disapearing ounce sadly is not enough to really form an opinion of and then start to mix. I'm just going to enjoy it straight and probabley buy some more right away.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Hobie sent me some Penzance, and after nsfisher talked about layering tobacco, i've been doing just that...i have some coconut tobacco and i layer it with the penzance (or some other english) and it taste wonderful...I've been also mixing engllish with some of my nastier tobacco and it makes it more enjoyable...

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I sense the Penz could save many tobaccos, however I just prefer to trade off anything I don't like or give it away. There's always someone who wants it way more than I do. Like, I've discovered all Dunhill tobacco tastes like cigarette tobacco and I hate the whole brand in general except for their Early Morning Pipe. Many pipe smokers would say the exact opposite!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Okay, the second time was the charm, this stuff is on my reorder list now, I will just go for the whole 8oz bag. It was way more well behaved in my cob (although I was too eager to let it dry some, and it was very wet). I barely had to relight it. This time I got a lot more of the taste and smell, god I love the smell. It basically is just the same exact thing as Frog Morton, only stronger in flavor and slightly weaker in nicotine, my cup o' tea. Now that I am happy, I am going to put it away for now and try some of these other samples :puffpipe:

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I enjoy Penzance as well.
Do you guys really consider it to be a lat-bomb though? I find it to be about in the middle of the lat-heirarchy. I think that the lat in penzance is a lot more subdued than it is in a lot of other blends. There is not an intense in-your-face lat smokiness in Penzance (IMO of course) compared to a lot of the GLP or other, fuller english blends I've tried. More than in the frog series though, sure.
I think that the best part of penzance is how the lat plays with the other leaf (oriental/turkish?). Instead of straight campfire/meaty savoriness (which turns me off at times unless I'm in the mood for it, like HH Syrian), you get a whole range of smoky-meaty-salty-peaty-cedary-incense-perfume characters as you go down the bowl.
My .02 of course.
Edit: I'd also just like to add that for those of you who are just finding or being able to try Penzance or Lat blends in general. Don't stop there! There are tons of other amazing English blends with similar characteristics out there. They all have something unique to offer, and most others are much easier to find!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I think I have scarred hobie for life! Now I'll never get on his good side... I dunno if I want to inflict Dunhill tobacco on Penzance, that is a bit scarry.
Nooo, Penzy, nooo, he didn't really mean it 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.