PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Living in NY (as opposed to my native Texas) I'm used to certain things. I can't own a handgun without a lengthy permit process, I can't own a stock AR, and I pay really high taxes. I'm finding now that I have to purchase almost all of my tobacco online. None of the local grocers carry any pipe tobacco. The Rite Aid carries a few Dr G pipes and MMs but not any pipe tobacco, and there is no local b&m. There is a local Smokers Choice, but when I called asking if they carried Dunhill or would be willing to order it in, the reply was, "oh you want real pipe tobacco, I can't get it easy and if I did you'd not want to pay the taxes on it."

I don't live in a rural area, the town I live in is medium sized and big enough to have two wlamarts a target and all the retail that usually accompanies them. The local gas stations carry a OTC blend brand called tin star, and I've not been willing to spend the $4 a pouch for something of that quality.

Is this the case for others without a B&M, do most have to settle for online purchases? Don't get me wrong I like the good prices and sticking it to the man when I don't pay taxes my tobacco. I'm just wondering what most people have to deal with.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
If I could, I would! Great fishing, decent hunting, terrible politics and taxes.

Jun 4, 2014
I'm here in a small town in PA. The closest B&M that stocks better blends is 30 minutes away, only real pipe shop is 45 minutes away. Lots of tobacco shops around that cater to the cigarette and RYO crowd. I do most of my shopping online also.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
As an Alaskan I was shocked to see what they had to charge for a tin once we got a smoke shack that carried a few tins. I used to buy from a B&M that was a real pipe store but they went out of business before internet sales were common and before the huge inflation to tobacco prices. If he was still open I'd probably still shop there just to help him stay there but I'm not so hot on paying $30 a tin to keep a head shop open. I still have bought a couple tins from them but I rely 99% on internet sales to procure my baccy.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I have the same problem here in Israel. I live in Haifa which is the 3rd biggest city and no b&m here. Found one on line store but prices are sky high + shipmment. Shippment from other countries double if not tripple overall payment.

Poor me too. :crying:

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
online here, as well.
there is a great upscale cigar shop here but, so far, he has shown no inclination to expand my horizons.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I guess in a way I'm lucky to live here in Carolina.I have a B&M I Can get to in about 20 minutes though it's cheaper to buy online.I can't smoke inside public places but that doesn't bother me much.I can sit on an outside bench and smoke in town if I want to.Super markets carry some tobacco.Tobacco taxes aren't nearly as high as they are some other places.So I guess It could be much worse here than it is now.That's not to say that it won't be in the future though given the mentality of politicians these days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an old tobacco state, so I have three B&Ms, a chain and two independents. I'm twenty minutes from an airport with

direct flights to London and Paris, and three miles from the largest state sponsored art museum in the states. Plus, I have

a state fair up the road and a pipe show at the fairgrounds that offer pipe carvers selling in person. So, on these points,

I'm good.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
There are a few cigar stores around here that sell some re-branded Stokkebye blends in bulk, and some premium tins, but they cannot compete with online prices. I do 99% of my purchases online, and I make the occasional pilgrimage to L. J. Peretti's in Boston, which is an hour away.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Here in Denver, B&M prices are noticeably higher than online prices. I buy from the B&M in order to "pay the rent" on the lounge area when I smoke there (which will be happening more often now that we're hitting 15 degree daytime temperatures...), but for TAD and cellaring, it's online all the way.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I'll be headed to Syracuse (1Hr away) at the end of the week and I used the finder here on the site to locate a B&M. Called them up and had a nice little chat about what they have in stock and what not. I'm looking forward to it, and will post a review and pics when I go.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
All's good here in Tennessee!

Lowest gas prices in the country (at the moment), fair prices on tobacco, beer, ammo, guns, groceries, rent, insurance, ect.

Voted one of the top 5 freest states in the country last year. We're passing more and more pro-gun, pro-freedom laws every year.

If I sound like I'm bragging, it's cause I kinda am!

I love my state! "Tennessee, I was born here and raised here, and I'll make my grave here. It's home... Tennessee"

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I'm in Michigan and I'm in the same boat. No B&M anywhere even remotely close to me. Any search for a local tobacco shop turns up essentially gas stations. I walked into one place and the owner was the greasiest, stinkiest, toothless, hillfolk-looking turd I've ever seen in my life. The only patrons there looked like dirty prospectors and the shop had no larger selection of anything other than e-cigs than any of the trashy gas stations in the area.
It's been kind of a difficult path to learn the way of the pipe as I've been completely alone in my endeavor. Nobody in my family smokes a pipe or did and there are no places for smokers to gather anymore. Smoking restaurants and campuses are a thing of the past apparently. My campus banned smoking 2 years ago and even the bars that I remember as a child as being smokier than a Cyprus Hill concert 24/7 are now smoke free. As far as learning or buying anything related to pipes I've had to turn to online sources. I don't know a single person around here other than myself that smokes a pipe. It's probably due to the lack of supplies for it.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I am a fellow New Yorker and I know how you feel. I also have to do all my tobacco buying online, and have to watch for some places in NY who will still charge you the high tax.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You think you got it rough hahahahah. Try living in Rural Maritime Provinces, Canada. As far as local Retailers are concerned, "What is GOOD Pipe Tobacco" Oh, I have some Captain Black, White for $23.00 a pouch. Here let me vacumn the dust of the pouch for you first.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Sorry brother. Where I live, we have open carry and stand your ground law. You can buy guns at estate sales, flea markets, and swap meets.

The owner of the local B&M knows me by name.

Drawbacks: WV is full of real life Larry the Cable Guys.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Well, you could be here in California: In Bakersfield, the one tobacconist that had a shop in the mall for years and years, has gone out of business. The local B&M's are all full of glass pipes and hookahs, and only a couple of cheapo briars. Tobacco is relatively cheap, but the selection is limited to Captain Black, Half & Half, and Prince Albert. Another tobacconist has 1888, but it's $28/tin.
Online is the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned. I lived in Tennessee for seventeen years, and I miss it every day.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
Nsfiaher i'm playing you a sad song on the worlds smallest violin. :nana: but seriously that does stink man their is always some one worse off then the last guy. why can't we live in a world were we could just smoke out pipes, get great tobacco cheap, and be happy

Status
Not open for further replies.