Poll: Do You Store Your Pipes Stem Up or Down?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Poll worked fine for me.
Mine sit "stem up" in the rack but the ones that get used a lot sometimes get left sitting on the table next to my recliner between smokes ... so "flat" I guess.

Mar 1, 2014
The closest thing I have to a pipe rack is a Pelican case with slots cut out for the pipes. The degree and direction of slant depends on how much of a bend they have (my Calabash has to tilt back toward the stem because it's too tall when sitting level, but a straight pipe that's too long needs to tilt forward).

Everything else is scattered loose across various drawers and tubs in various locations.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Both ... I have a circular rack that will hold about 20 pipes stem down and a couple of 4 and 6 pipe racks that are stem up.
My pipes are dried well enough prior to hitting the rack that it doesn't matter. If I can't get a couple of pipe cleaners in it beforehand, it will lay flat until I do.
Somewhere, I heard the stem-down way referred to as the "European Style" ... don't know for sure.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
No third option of both, it just depends on what pipe stand they're sitting in. I've never really put much thought into it.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Stems up. Long ago someone told me that the warm air from the bowl (after smoking) would rise through the stem and help remove the moisture. Don't know if that's actually true but I done it ever since.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
Stem down in racks; stem up in little jars (mostly cobs); and stems flat or askew in baskets

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Both; 4 cob rotation in a hanging rack, 6 briar rotation in a standing rack. I figure ten pipes is enough to have in rotation at one time.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I'm glad you asked this, Hawke.
I once read that pipes should be stored stem up, but no reason was given. My "rack" is a screwdriver holder on the pegbord back of my workbench, so I store mine stem down. I've kind of worried that I was "doing it wrong," even though I couldn't see how it would make a difference. I'm happy to know it doesn't seem to matter.
My couple of bent pipes lay flat, and my one meerschaum lives in a case.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Both for me too. All my briars are in racks, stem up. All my cobs are in cups, stem down. :puffy:

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I lay mine flat in a cedar lined cigar box so my wife doesn't have to smell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.