PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the Northern Briars that I got from Ian at the pipe show... if you missed the last post, I had injured my hand the previous week, and I dropped the brand new pipe before I could even smoke it.

briary2.jpg

It shattered the stem on the stummel into seven pieces, sounding like glass or ceramic hitting the pavement. I had just written it off, but I collected all of the pieces. I had a bag of this pipe on my bench the other day, when I wanted to take a break. So, I started just piecing it back together. I had all of the pieces. So, I drew out a piece of stainless. This is where I anneal the metal and then pull it through a drawplate to reduce the diameter of the tubing. Stainless is not an easy metal to fabricate with. But, I managed to reduce it down to fit perfectly into the draft of the stummel. It all fit together like a well-made puzzle. There were some areas that needed a little tiny brush to add some stain to cover the fracture, but you can still see the fractures if you look closely at it.
I knew this was going to need strength when the stem fits, so I planned a design for a band. I was just playing, and I had no idea whether this was all going to work. So, I didn't even think to take a picture of it in process. I was pretty sure it would be relegated to the back of a drawer somewhere.
But, I got it glued up, let it set for a couple of days, and carved out the mortice for the band, and fabricated some sterling and 18k gold into this band. Then compression fit it onto the pipe. It made the stem really tight, but a little graphite loosened it up a tad, enough to fit.
NB-band4.jpg

NB-band1.jpg

You can see the fractures here, if you look closely.

NB-band2.jpg

NB-band3.jpg

The pipe smokes well, and as long as I don't drop it again and shatter the bowl, maybe it will hold. I'm not sure how much the tube inside the stummel changes the smoking capacity. The pipe wasn't broken in at all. Not even smoked entirely one time. But, I know that with the thinness of the tubbing, that the draw wasn't restricted more than half a mm.
But, I was pleased with the aesthetic. The gold and silver really helps the transition from the yellowish stem to the reddish stain in rustication that Ian has made.
So, I had another pipe that I had Dan Chlebove (Gabrieli Pipes) make for me, maybe five years ago. I asked him to not put any nomenclature on the stem, so that I could put a band on it. But, I never could commit myself to a design. I have enjoyed this pipe, and it is one of my favorite smokers. It's the one that I am smoking in my avatar. So, I did this to it...
GP-band1.jpg

GP-band2.jpg

GP-band4.jpg

GP-band3.jpg

Anyways, I am smoking the Gabrieli right now, and I am very happy how this turned out. As to my repair work, ha ha. I will give it a few dozen smokes to see if it breaks in. If not, well... so be it. It will be a pretty decoration for one of my drawers. :puffy:

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Very nicely done. Glad this story ended up with a happy ending.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Well done Cosmic. They look great. I really like the Gabrieli. I love straight pipes and colored stems.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Another one for the "everything happens for a reason" file.
Exceptional metal work!
In the military, we put a lanyard, or "dummy cord" on everything important. Maybe you can work that into the design as we get older and clumsier... :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Glad it could be saved. Surprised you aren't making more pipes, with metal work like that you'd have no problem finding a market. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.