PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
So I have some pipes. Some old pipes and I have a problem. I've taken off some logo stamping on the stems by sanding, polishing and buffing. I'd like to keep the logos on the stems. What I've done to try and rectify this was to get a paper hole puncher and some tape. I punched out a perfect little circle of tape and put that over one of the logos. I then proceeded to sand, polish, etc. Now one of my pipes has this circular spot of oxidation around an intact logo but... I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at here. It's a Dunhill. It smokes great with a shiny stem but it's a friggin' eye soar! I have three pipes ready for refurbishing and I don't even want to start because of this issue. There's a Stanwell, a Charatan's and a Savinelli up on deck. The Savinelli has two gold spots for a logo. I might be able to handle that one carefully and not lose any of it. The Stanwell and Charatan's are intimidating me because of all the tiny little spaces in between the peaks of the crown and the lettering. I use oxiclean, a magic eraser, sand paper, micromesh and a cheap buffing wheel attached to a drill with two types of buffing compound. Sometimes the trouble begins in the oxiclean. I had another Stanwell logo just disintegrate in the oxiclean bath. I was left with a Stanwell indention on the vulcanite with no color to it. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve pertaining to my dilemma?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I've not had great success myself. Some put a bit of Vaseline on the logo before soaking in bleach rather than oxyclean.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You can polish the Dunhill dot. It's not a surface application, it's a piece of plastic or ivory that has been inserted through the wall of the stem. You won't buff it off.
Basically, most of us live with the patch of oxidation that surrounds a preserved stem logo. It's that, or possibly obliterating the logo.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
+1 sable.
If the Savinelli you mentioned is a Punto Oro, the gold dots are brass inserts. (On the older ones) You can sand and buff right over them.
If anyone knows how to rejuvenate the area around and within a logo without destroying it, I'm all ears...

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
It's a shame to leave them like that. I'm going to try the Vaseline and bleach. We'll see how that works out. Maybe a larger buffing wheel and a lighter touch will be the answer. Practice with trial and error is going to have to do.
Thanks for the input gentleman.
The Savinelli is not a Punto Oro. It is a Nonperiel. Looks like an older one. 50's? 60's? Possibly 70's. It's numbered 9904 if that means anything to you. The dots look to be inlaid brass but I need to inspect them closer.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
+1 on sale and the Dunhill dot. That's why I love working on Dunhills, Comoys, etc. Stamped stem logos are always a compromise. Your solution on them is as good as any.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Your solution is actually pretty common. If you know what color the logo was you can always use paint to fill in the stamping. I've done that to a few grabows and kaywoodies to good effect.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I've had pretty good luck using the Vaseline technique. Although it's not perfect it's close enough.

If there's enough impression left on the stem after sanding and buffing, I found that a touch of White Out applied to the area, quickly wiped off can help bring up the image.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/html/pipe_repairs.html

does a number of logo replacements on stems

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I guess I'll go with an easier touch and hope for the best. Keep a jar of paint near by. I'm thinking maybe some white epoxy. I can mix up a dab, mash that into my Stanwell and clean off the excess. I'll document that and put some pics up when I get to it. If all else fails, I have someone to send it off to fix it. I'm a man who loves a back up plan! Thank you all... This forum is better than facebook! Much more interesting and wise folks here!

Status
Not open for further replies.