PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Found a video on YouTube that has the pros showing how to polish wood. I am was looking for exact details and thought this was worth sharing. My only issue now is finding the Tripolli and White Diamond discussed in the video. Hard for me to find it like what they use.

Polishing from the pros

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Contact Tim West at http://www.jhlowe.com/tobacco_pipe_repairs.htm] and he can help you find any thing you need to polish pipes.

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
I buy mine at Lee Valley tools. They have a flat rate shipping option on larger orders. (over $40 right now i think.)

They also carry the complete Beall polishing system.

Everything from mandrels to carnauba wax.
Pimo also has smaller pieces of compound, I sometimes buy Brown and white from them.

They also have smaller packets of alcohol based aniline dyes.
If you are in the US Pimo is probably your best bet for smaller quantities.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks for the Tim West link. For metal polishing, I use Eastwood or my favorite, Caswell. Both offer compound sticks and buff wheels at decent prices.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I wouldn't use the Tung oil on a pipe. Tripoli and diamond are abrasives the carnauba is the finish. My finish is a deep dark secret that is known only to me! Well me and a bunch of other pipe makers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks, I was guessing a oil base wouldn't work too well on a briar pipe. In the video of the Beall system, they are doing a leg for a piece of furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.