Polish Condor....What Happened?

(27 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by pepesdad1
  • Latest reply from verporchting
  1. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just tried to choke down the "new" Polish based Condor...Choke is the apt word...it was nasty tasting...almost foul. I smoked some of the Irish version prior to get the right taste cemented in my mind...the flavor the creaminess...all that was missing in the Polish version. I had to empty my pipe and clean it out with some Crown Royal to get rid of any lingering nastiness. I purchased it with the intent of seeing just how bad or hopefully just a little off the new Condor was....gag, hak, spit...all are the labels I would place on the tobacco review if asked.
    It saddens me to think that a fine tobacco...a heritage if you will, had been thrown out. The fine folks who used to be proud of what they were turning out for the connoisseur pipe smoker in the UK and elsewhere..what they must be feeling for this loss, this debasement of their heritage is something I wouldn't want to hear.

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I think they went wrong when they added kielbasa to the blend. Garlic doesn't really smoke well.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

" Garlic doesn't really smoke well."

That is a fact....this stuff is truly nasty...broke my heart.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a lengthy thread about the new 'Condor-ski' Plug a few months back started by yours truly. It is truly unsmokable and I have smoked tractor tires with more flavor. They totally ruined the brand although I am told the Condor Brown is alright and seems to have survived unmolested!

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sent the rest of mine to a friend from Krypton. I figure he has a chance of surviving the smoke.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That right Jim. I remember now that I had Jim give a 'Stewards Opinion' on the new plug just to make sure it wasn't just my taste buds playing up. As can been seen from the above he concurred with my thoughts. Actually it might be helpful Jim if you reproduce your opinion here again as it was really very pertinent and spot on the money.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is my update to my original Condor plug review:
    Condor is now made in Poland, much to its detriment. The tobaccos have less strength and (practically no) nuances. The toppings are different, and weaker, though some soap and floralness is present. Has a bitter, unattractive sourness not present in the older manufacture. Will still ghost a briar and a meer. In the last third of the bowl, I detected a cigarette note that I never experienced before. The plug itself is moister and more pliable than before. In short, it’s not the same plug as before. This version gets one star.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds great! Hoard now; they may be going out of business!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  9. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"the weez"...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  10. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Corporate f*cks could give a sh*t about anything except money.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice attitude, and way to express it!

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reminds me of the fella that had a super busy restaurant that specialized in Clam Chowder. He was thinking of retiring so he sold the restaurant to a corporate chain style operation. For many months the customers still came in droves, then slowly but surely the recipe was changed. The corporate chain could not understand
    the decline in business and decided to cut its losses.

Cutting corners or changing recipes NEVER ends well.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  13. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still pisses me off....grrr.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're fortunate enough to have access to Gawith Hoggarths Westmorland Slices, they could be a proper alternative. They're not available in the USA. A UK tobacconist told me that Condor was for folks who were too lazy to go to a tobacconist and that Westmorland was much better. I've only smoked a couple bowls of each, and not side by side, but I see the similarity.

P.S. Not Samuel Gawith Westmorland. That's not the same.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a thread on another forum about how to identify, through the product code on the plug wrapper, whether the plug was made in Ireland or Poland. I can't locate that thread at the moment but will post it if I find it. I have only tried Condor a few times but quite enjoy it once in a blue moon and stocked up quite a bit when I heard that production was moving because I feared they would screw it up.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find this Long Cut Flake (brown )is pretty enjoyable versus to green one.And perhaps would not ghost pipe that vigorously, remains to be seen.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

Never got to try the old Condor. Oh well.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

Polish jokes?

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just received a fresh shipment of Westmorland Slices from across the pond and compared it to a pouch of Condor Ready Rubbed I bought this fall in Scotland. They don't smell all that much alike. Condor is much more floral. Westmorland Slices has a richer stoved, licorice/molasses scent with a bit of Lakeland perfume. They're not equivalent in my book. I don't know where my Condor was manufactured, however.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Corporate f*cks don't give a shit about anything except money.

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WELL said sir....again! It's as true as it was the first time.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 months ago #
  22. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I requoted for the pleasure of one of the forum brethren. When something gets raped over money, one should call a spade a spade.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

I’d like to see you call a spade a spade. I’m rooting for the spade, though. I think you should know that.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was able to get a couple of pouches from the 70s in one of Pipestud's offerings a few weeks back. Like a lot of many-decades old tobaccos that have been sealed it has that special "scent" which I identify in my mind as that ole' timey smell. It did not disappoint. Not only did it taste like Condor (not the Polish variety) but it also was a little stronger than the plugs I had gotten back 3 or 4 years ago from James Fox in Dublin. No wonder it was so popular over the decades in Britain when it was still made there

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welp,...like McClellands tobacco....when it runs out it runs out and there is no more (won't pay those ridiculous prices on eprey)...got a few flakes left and a small piece of a plug left...when it goes...that will be it for Condor...at least I can say that I have had the best of the Condor and I enjoyed it to the fullest....snif.

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  27. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

Is that Condor brown or green?

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ormazd, johnscs, ashdigger, civilwar, lestrout, tbradsim1, andromeda, captpat, cigrmaster, prairiedruid, redone, mlstline