PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
Hi,
I'm new to pipe smoking, currently own a bent pipe BIGBEN starter kit, thought of getting a poker pipe ..appreciate if anyone able to provide some info. Myself hv Google around for Stanwell and Savinelli... which brand does a better workmanship?..thank you

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Welcome to the forum. Both Savinelli and Stanwell are good. I prefer Savinelli myself, but both will provide a good smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Both Savinelli and Stanwell make pokers in various series and price ranges, as does the Sav sub-brand Rossi. Most Sav's come with a balsa filter and all will take an adaptor to smoke without a filter, or if you can smoke a pretty open draw, just leave the filter out. Both Sav and Rossi have series without filters. You can get either brand in lower priced series for around $50, on through $100 or into the hundreds. For Stanwells, start shopping at pipesandcigars for best prices. For Savenelli and Rossi, I like smokingpipes. Stanwells are mostly not filtered, but be sure you check to see.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I like my Stanwell poker Brushed black (207) very much and recommend it without reservation. It's comfortable to clench and performs very nicely. Economical, too. Problem is I don't see any in stock at any the usual retailers. Like mso says, the Savinellis are a very good bet as well.

larry127

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
Thank you all! Very informative!
Deciding whether to get the Savinelli poker 311KS or the Stanwell 207 . Hmmm...

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I like the new Sav poker (I think 311 is its number) it's just a bit to small for me in length. The briar works line I think it's in their icarus series has a real nice one two. And although a hot one it to is a bit short... but I like it!

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
If you can save up a little and like large pipes, check out Ferndown. Les Wood makes some amazing pipes in the traditional English tradition and techniques.

mmopipe

Lurker
Mar 10, 2016
[/quote] Thank you all! Very informative!
Deciding whether to get the Savinelli poker 311KS or the Stanwell 207 . Hmmm...
I have both of these, and they're both great pipes. The 207 has a much longer bit, and the 311KS is just small enough to pop in your pocket. I use them regularly. If I were getting one over the other though, it would be the 311KS. I plan on buying the whole line of those. Nice pipes.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I may have had a run of bad luck but roughly 10 years ago I bought 4 different Stanwells. Not one of them was decently engineered. 2 of them seeped smoke at the stem.
Based on my experience, I would have to recommend Sav.
But things may be better now.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I replied to a thread like this the other day where I explained the problems I have with my Stanwell 207. I wont repeat myself except to say it is a total pig in almost every regard and compared to my older Stanwell's is badly made. I won't buy another new Stanwell as a result. An over reaction perhaps but if I were you I would go with the Savinelli 311. It looks better too I think.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
One of the first estate pipes I bought years ago was a Sav poker - lower end sherwood. I loved that pipe. Dog chewed it up one day lol. Guess he was pissed I was spending more time with the pipe than him. Now both are gone. :(

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I own one poker and I still hate to look at the butt ugly thing. I say go with Cherrywood. It has way more graceful lines than a stiff looking poker. Here is what I mean.
Here is my Talbert Ligne Bretagne poker.

13C17lb08_zps1241429a.jpg

Now here is my Scott Thile Cherrywood.

sthielle_zps2ca3b12a.jpg

See the difference in the lines and how much prettier the Cherrywood is. Now if you have your heart set on a poker, then by all means. Just thought I would give you something else to think about.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Set your budget... go to a site like smokingpipes.com and look around to find a pipe you like and pull the trigger.
This is sage advice. If you exclude estate pipes from your shopping expedition, when comparing newly made factory pipes of about the same price point you are as close as you can get to comparing apples to apples in terms of quality. Meaning, you can be a little more self assured that you're not sacrificing quality for aesthetics in your selection.
At smokingpipes.com with $100 to spend on a poker, this is the one that I'd be adding to my stable:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/neerup/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=198501
If you were interested in spending just a little bit more, and aren't afraid of estate pipes, then this would be my choice:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=188291
Happy hunting!
-- Pat

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I got a great smoking poker by Road Town pipes on ebay for under $20 shipped. It always smokes cool and dry and is my favorite for virginia flakes. It is on the heavy side but that just makes me clench a bit harder. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.