108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I has just made the comment to Skip at The Briary that I don't understand what guys find so attractive about pokers, ha ha. And, then he whips out this, and he magically transfers my bank account into his coffers...
Skip is now carrying a new pipe maker's work. His name is Brad Rowley out of Fairhope, Alabama, just a stone's throw away from Foley, home of a Rad pipe guy, ha ha. He sells his pipes under the name Growley Pipes. He's been making for three years, but out of all of the pipes I examined, his skills are way better than most pipe makers who've been churning out pipes for decades. Skip was so impressed that he bought the guy out.

growl.jpg

This is a tiny little poker, with the delicate looking bamboo secured and fabricated exactly like an Eltang that one of my friends had on hand. The stainless steel tube runs the entire length of the bamboo, and each end is secured with a small horn band to prevent the bamboo from expanding, loosening the bit. And, yes, despite having no pre-conditioned attraction to the poker shape, I fell in love at first sight. Small, yet it will hold a flake, ride lightly in the clench, I'm excited to get to add a bamboo to the arsenal.
All of Brad's pipes are gorgeous, and the photos are deceptive, because they look bigger in the pictures than they are in hand. He had a bent Rhodesian that was what I'd call "cute," small, and more delicate looking than it really is. One that you could carry easily in the pocket without worry. If it's still there when I return, I may just have to get it also.
Anyways, you guys ought to check out this new maker's work. Pretty soon they will cost way more than they do now. And, don't get my Rhodesian!!! Ha ha!! :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Lovely Poker Micheal. I won a Growley at the Chattanooga Pipe Show last year in a raffle. See my original post here on it.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/growley-pipe-i-won-at-chattanooga-pipe-show-pics
Its a wonderful smoker. Engineering is spot on. I am thinking about getting a Devil Anse to my specs from him.

Cool, that looks exactly like the Rhody that I want next of his, except it is a dark stained blast. I've met Brad a few months ago at a Christian pipe smokers meeting that I stumbled into. A very nice guy. For some reason this is important to me. I find it harder to shell out cash to a guy who I can't relate to in a affable way.
Voorhees, you are the man to beat next year at the pipe show. I am still in training, raw eggs in the morning, and trying to catch chickens with a lit pipe in my mouth, ha ha!!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have seen one like you mentioned. But all of his pipes are beautiful.
As far as the slow smoke competition goes, I cannot say it was on pure skill. I was lucky to say the least. I was completely beat when we finished as the concentration level wears on you as you know.

The guy who usually wins will probably be back to kick our tails.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Michael, that is an awesome looking pipe. Love the bamboo and the shape. I hope you love how it smokes. I also used to never be a fan of the poker but now own one poker and one cherrywood as the shape has been growing on me. Congrats on a great new acquisition.
I have been on Growleys mailing list for quite some time and always take a look at what he is making. One of these days I will be adding one of his pipes to my collection.

Jan 8, 2013
That is a beautiful pipe. After seeing it, I went and took a look at his website, and wow! There are some fantastic pipes on there. In fact, I have been planning to buy my first artisan handmade now that I am getting out of the Army, and I think I just found the one. I just have to hope it is still there...

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Wow, I agree about your feelings on poker pipes. I think this would have changed my mind also. The blast, plateau rim and stain is great. The bit looks very nice also, along with the bamboo making it lighter, I would think it makes a very comfortable clencher.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Wow. Me want that Sea Dog. Someone tell Ryan he doesn't charge enough. I mean no one tell Ryan he doesn't charge enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.