PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok here is one for the old cajun or others, I've been cutting firewood and got some poison ivy, which itches like crazy. Never been a fan of calomine lotion, anybody ever try tobacco on it? I know Bradley uses it on bee stings.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Just rub some bacon on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A
But seriously just take some Benadryl pills and rub some of their clear cream on it, very effective.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I've had it so many times that my body throw up its hands when I get it. I end up getting a steroid shot and Prednisone pills. Not fun. As such, I'm stupid diligent of where my kids play. Don't need that in my house. Oh, and calamine lotion doesn't work for me. Usually the Dr.'s treatment gets rid of t in less than a week.
-Jason

Aug 14, 2012
When I was at summer camp in the 1940s, there was one kid who declared that poison ivy could not affect him. So he got naked and went rolling in a patch of it, even wiped his rear end with it. The kid spent the summer in a hospital. Hope he recovered.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
God, I HATE poison ivy. I swear that I can't even look at the crap without getting covered in it. As a kid, I would get it so bad that my mother would have to take me to the doctor every friggin' summer to get a shot in my butt cheek.
Hate poison ivy. So bad. Hope yours goes away soon!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Don't know about tobacco but when I was in boy scouts one of my old scout masters used to mix a cap full of bleach with with about a cup of water and dab on us with a cotton ball. Dried up the poison ivy in a couple of days and pretty much relieved all the itching.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Bleach or white vinegar will help, if you breathe the smoke from firewood that had poison ivy in it you are screwed, shots are the only comfort, toothpaste will dry up red ant stings, you need to dry it out. The old cajun

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I'm with a bleach bath also. Gets rid of ivy and chiggers.

Having worked at a chemical plant after the Marines, we used white vinegar to neutralize most chemical

burns. (Organic chemicals, which ivy oil is a member of). I never used it on ivy, but it makes perfect sense!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Lol Jud.... Hadn't heard that one in a while.
I've used Vinegar on it before while out and about camping. It soothes somewhat, but hasn't been a miracle cure for me. I always have a little bottle of it in the backpack just for that. Never tried bleach though.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Gotta' go with the bleach bath for poison ivy outbreaks. It plays hell on your skin but drying that mess up has always worked best for me.
I'm leery of steroids because they're over-prescribed in our society, but Prednisone is magic if it gets really bad. Of course, with long term treatment, you'll put on 10 to 15 lbs. in a heartbeat as well as end up looking like the Michelin man.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
you'll put on 10 to 15 lbs. in a heartbeat as well as end up looking like the Michelin man.

Yup. That's why I'm overweight. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it! :lol:
-Jason

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Try Poison Ivy Soap, if there is a place near you that carries it. You can look it up online at pioson ivy soap co. My son in law got into some last summer and we sent him a couple bars, he said it worked great.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
When I was at summer camp in the 1940s, there was one kid who declared that poison ivy could not affect him. So he got naked and went rolling in a patch of it, even wiped his rear end with it. The kid spent the summer in a hospital. Hope he recovered.
OMG... :rofl:
Im with the bleach treatment... has worked for me in all my 43 years.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My father once breathed it in during camp when they were all at the fire and it almost killed him, poor bastard had it in every orifice in his entire body. Actually wiping his ass with it must have cost that kid dearly. I wonder how much it hurt to do a number 2, oh god the paper must have felt like sandpaper! IT BURNS IT BURNS!

Status
Not open for further replies.