Point of Diminishing Returns for Cellared Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Alright, so a few legit questions here regarding the both physical feasibility of storing tobacco in original tins, and questions on ideal aging of tobacco, if such a thing exists.
The situation: I'm about to have a baby boy, my first, at the ripe old age of (almost) 43. I enjoy pocket knives so I started out with the idea to purchase something unique from this year to store away and give to him at some future milestone that has morphed into a bigger idea to essentially put aside a small box of his old man's favorite things/vices as a time capsule for him to open down the line. In addition to the pocket knife, things like a good bourbon that will only age for the better, a silver dollar from the early 1900s I've had myself since I was kid, etc. are in the mix.
Considering the closing of McClelland, I'm also considering tossing in a tin or two, since McC's closing coincides very closing w what will be his birthday (due date is the 6th).

I'm assuming I wouldn't pass this on to him before his 18th or some further on date (college grad, etc), so lets just work on the assumption that I'm talking about 20 years of storage here.
With this in mind, I could use some advice on the following:
-Is there a point of diminishing returns for particular leaf/blends of tobacco? Meaning, is there a time period beyond which the aging is possibly degrading? And is any such concern specific to the leaf (i.e. Virginian. english, etc)?
-Do I need to concern myself with transferring from a tin into a jar? (i.e. will the tin pop due to fermentation over time?)
Basically, is there a particular tobacco that will truly get better for that long of a period of time, and if so, does it need to be transferred out of the tin ahead of time?

I definitely don't want to time capsule something that could possible get worse by the end...or pop sometime along the way and I wouldn't know it.
(FYI, some of the possible tobaccos in the mix are 40th, FMC, FMotT, Deep Hollow, Virginia Woods, Dark Star, and Cajun Dark. Also HH Vintage Syrian)
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You'll be fine leaving these in the tin. The Virginias will continue to ripen for decades, but the Latakia will fade out over time. So smoke your Vintage Syrian, FMC, and FMotT, and put a McClelland Virginia in the time capsule. You'll be glad that you did.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Nothing to add to what sable said because he’s spot on of course , but I did want to say congratulations! My first son just had his first birthday... :puffy:

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Thanks much!
I was mostly worried about fermentation issues w the sugar in VAs, and the ability of the tins to hold up.

If those are not issues, and I am cleared to smoke my English blends (which, selfishly, I'm good with, lol), then we've quickly covered the necessary bases!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I recently was fortunate enough to obtain some 10 and 15 year old 5100. I really couldn’t tell the difference between the 2, both are superb. If pipe tobacco is anything like cigars, the better the tobacco, the better it will age. I would bet the 40th Anniversary will hold up to aging exceptionally well.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
coyja, if I were picking some others, I'd say the Blackwoods Flake and St James Woods. If you have a tin of McCranies Red Ribbon and/or Red Flake, I would think those would age superbly as well. They already have age but given their vintage crops, they should hold up to aging well.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
40th and any Vintage of Christmas Cheer will be amazing in the coming years.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
First of all congratulation on your first child.

About your question I agree with what has already been said you should orient toward Virginia for long time cellaring. An idea I would give to you is getting something unusual such as a plug, I am thinking at Full Virginia Plug as it is something very rare in USA (you have to buy from Europe as it's not imported in the States). Just tonight I had a first bowl of a 10 yo FVF, it was absolutely amazing, I can't think how it would be a 20 yo FVP. A 250 gm brick of FVP would be definitely something unique in your time capsule.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I know it isn't one of your interests/vices but a nice idea might be to enclose a decent newspaper or two from the day he was born. Re the bourbon: spirits don't really age once they are bottled, so best to store something which is a little rare and will only get rarer over the years.
Mike

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
First off, congratulations on your new child. As a side note, I saw this idea a while back, I forget where, but I like it. Open up an e-mail account in your child’s name, then send them messages periodically about how you feel about fatherhood and about them as they grow up. On the kids 18th birthday, give them the address, I know this would have meant a lot to me, to get my fathers thought on being my father as the years went on.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
God willing in 18 or 20 years you will enjoy sitting with your son and smoking pipes and sharing your tobacco knowledge.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As far as tins constitution holding up over the long haul, I think the McClelland style tins shouldn't be a problem at all. They're sealed with a fair amount of room/air to grow.

Mike Mcniel said that aspect is key for long term aging.
I suppose it's possible that a particularly sugary Virginia could explode after 80 years but I feel like it's a rare occurrence.
@philobeddoe that's a great idea

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Congrats!
I'd forget the booze and put in a decent to excellent newly carved pipe, that would obviously be his birth year pipe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"things like a good bourbon"
Sadly, once bottled ageing ceases. Spirits only age in the barrel.
A chap who lives in the manor house up the road bought his first born son a brand new Rolls Royce. He had it delivered and instructed the gardener to brick up the barn where it was carefully placed.
On his 21st birthday the father just gave the son a hammer and chisel! True story is that.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable' got it. Virginia's ripen. Burley keeps well, and some say it ripens, but not as notably as Virgnia's, maybe. But if we're talking McClelland, we're talking Virginias.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[Open up an e-mail account in your child’s name, then send them messages periodically about how you feel about fatherhood and about them as they grow up.]
I like the idea but way better done in the old style. Buy a leather covered journal with hand made paper and a fountain pen and write it down your memories every day. I have one from my dad and it's priceless.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Thanks for all the well wishes and advice... he'll be here any day now!
-I really like the email option, thats genius, as well as the journal...
-Interesting to know re: bourbon.... I always thought it at least smooths out more over time.

Anyhow, I'll still put some in there, lol.
-Escudo, I nearly bought some yesterday, but I know where it is and can still get it...
-I'm certainly NOT getting him a Rolls, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.