PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehab

Lurker
Mar 4, 2018
Hi all pipes smokers,
What can I do in the burning of the tongue and the roof of the throat? I feel it for several days

What we are addressing this?
I have another question: do I change the filter when I change the type of tobacco after one time or not? and I change the type on the same filter
Do I use the same pipe for more than the type of tobacco Is this a problem or normal?
waiting for your feedback if you please and thanks so much
Edited by jvnshr: Fixed the title.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What blends have you been smoking? Are you drying your tobacco and then packing it lightly? A little more info and people here may be better able to help you.
As for using different blends in the same pipe, it depends upon how different they are and whether you mind the ghosts of one blend appearing in another.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
First, welcome to the forum!
The first cause of such burn is smoking tobacco that hasn't been dried enough, followed by smoking too fast. Sometimes this hits newcomers regardless of how careful they are. Further, some tobaccos or toppings can irritate some folks,
What are you smoking, and in what pipe(s)?

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Too hot smoke can mean wet tobacco , dry it and puff gently
I have also tried filters , but going without one I found better tasting tobacco and it was cooler , since I didn’t work hard at getting a nice draw..

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Google "pipesmagazine tongue bite" for the burning.
I didn't use filters but I would think they are good for a half-dozen smokes. Check it and pit in a new one when in your judgment it is saturated such that it won't filter another smoke.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Dry your tobacco and sip...don't puff. It could be the tobacco. There was a thread here recently about a piper (can't remember who) who burned there tongue so bad on red virginia that he had to take a break for a few days.

ehab

Lurker
Mar 4, 2018
Thank you very much for your valuable advice

I smoke

- Borkum riff

- Erinmore

- Captin black

- Amphpra

Use

Bigben pipe

Polo pipe
I am new to the pipe and loved it but I did not have your experience and happy with your help and kindness and indeed I was not drying Tobacco and use it directly from the package but I will leave it to dry before using it

What do I do now for my mouth :)
And what do I treat that feeling Is there a specific medicine that removes this burning or what?
I also do something that I do not know whether it is true or not..

It is when I feel close to extinguish, I blow the air inside the pipe in a little bit so that the tobacco glow and I pull and smoking again

Do I do that or not?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
OK, so start by drying your tobacco a bit. You don't want it totally dry, but close. It should not feel damp when you squeeze it, but it should still be a little bit flexible, not crumbly dry.
Try packing it lightly, just drizzle it into the bowl and tap it down lightly. Drizzle in a little more and tap that down lightly. You can experiment with this until you find a pack that works best for you, but start with a loose pack.
Light it up, trying to get the entire top lit. Then let it go out and tamp the ash lightly. Light again and puff while lighting. Once you have the tobacco lit, don't puff. Take a sip, like you're sipping a cold drink. Let the smoke out and take another sip. Repeat. If the pipe goes out, just relight.
If you sip slowly, with a light pack and reasonably dried tobacco, you should not experience tongue bite. If you do continue to experience tongue bite, it may have something to do with a reaction to the type of tobacco in the blends that you're smoking. For example, some people can't smoke Red Virginia because it burns their mouths, while others have no such reaction.
Give your mouth a few days to heal from the burn, then try again. Have some cool water on hand, and sip it while smoking. That may help as well.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Anymore questions you skinny little runt
Har har har
Another obnoxious and self-serving post. I've been ignoring you but felt I needed to say something to your skinny little runt ass.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Put the lighter away, use a match. When I switched to matches, my tongue bite disappeared. With the match, I learned to just lightly get the tobacco smoldering. I'm sure that I slowed down my cadence as well, learned to pack the bowl better and all that conspired to a much better experience.
Welcome to the forum!

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Biotene will help your tongue and mouth feel better if you have tongue bite. I used to get bit quite frequently before I learned to dry and pack my tobacco. Plus a slow cadence really helped to eliminate tongue bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.