PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
For the last few weeks I've had a MAD crave on for some Plumcake. I had a bowl at our GTA Burner Meet and it just made me want more. I picked up a pouch today and immediatley opened and took a long sniff. This was my Latika cherry popper last March. I had about 10oz and it lasted about a month lol. I honestly think my tastes are changing with the cooler temps coming around. I find the strong smokes go better with autum air and cool mornings and evenings. Hunting season is upon us here in Ontario and I'm spending more and more time in the bush and I find the Latika blends more satisfying. I've seen other's post about this before but I wanted to share my experiences in the last 10mo.

I'm going out to sit on the patio and have a bowl when I write my review on another tobacco I bought today.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm definitely a Latakia fan, and I have found it to be more satisfying. I've got some Plumcake in a jar, I've had it a couple of times and find it to be a decent smoke. I wouldn't say I crave it at any time, unlike some of my other blends. I like my Latakia blends quite a bit stronger than Plumcake, ex. McClelland Blue Mountain. About the lightest Lat blend that tickles my fancy, is Frog Morton Cellar, which is pretty light on the Lat, but it's still very noticeable. Plumcake is definitely a good smoke though, I'm gonna let mine sit for a few more months before I get into it again.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
+1

I put the Plumcake aside for a couple weeks, and like you, this weekend it's all I've smoked! In fact, I'm smoking it right now.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Last blend I smoked. It is one of my favorite Latakia smokes. Now that autumn is here I enjoy English style blends more often.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I'm th same Mike. I had a bowl of H&H Saratoga Summer this morning and it was nice but didn't have that autum satisfaction. I like a good aro but in colder temps they just don't seem to match up well.

I've never trued any other McC blends other than the Yenidje Highlander and Oriental Supreme. I didn't really like them (and still really dont) because I just couldn't get that ketchupy taste/smell to not interfere with the taste of the tobacco

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I've always been curious about plum cake mixtures. 1st, do all plum cake mixtures contain Latakia? I know Mac Baren lists it, but Germain's, for example, doesn't. And 2nd, since it is a kind of aromatic/English hybrid, which pipe do you smoke it in, an aro-dedicated pipe, or one that's English-dedicated? Is the Latakia subtle, and the nuances of the blend will get lost in an English-dedicated pipe? Or is there enough Latakia in there to ghost an aro-dedicated pipe down the road?
Sam

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@samanden, I'm not so sure that Mac B's Plumcake would ghost a pipe. I dedicate pipes to aros and English blends, although I do smoke burleys I'm both, but I've only smoked Plumcake in cobs. The Latakia is very subtle, and maybe not enough to ghost any pipe. Plumcake is an unusual blend, it's not a aro and it's not a full blown English. I guess that's why I've only put it in cobs so far.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Plumcake has been on my list of "things people on this forum talk about a lot and I need to try" but I just never seen to find room for it in my orders. Maybe this thread will be the final push I need.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Which plumcake are we talking about? This description of Macbaren's plumbcake doesn't mention latakia:
A mixture of fully ripe Virginia tobaccos, sliced, cask mellowed Burley tobaccos, dark spicy Cavendish and just a touch of sweetness. To give Plumcake an elegant aroma the blend has been flavored with aged Jamaica Rum

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I also love MacBaren's Plumcake. But it is not a Cherry mix, it is exactly what fitzy has said, at least the one I buy.

Now I have to dig out my mason jar of Plumcake, as I am craving it bad now. LOL!!!!!!!

I have not noticed it ghosting any of my pipes.

Now I am on the hunt.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Maybe there's more than one plum cake?
This description of Mac Baren's plum cake does mention latakia:
This blend consists of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos in a beautiful ribbon cut, Burleys cut as a ready rubbed, some Original Cavendish and finally to top the blend off, a handful of Latakia is added.
All together the different tobaccos add a perfect taste of natural sweetness and a smokiness coming from the Original Cavendish and of course, the Latakia.
That description in my first post was off of smokingpipes.com maybe they just left the latakia part out of the description where as the description in this posting is right off McB's website.
Either way I need to add that to my list of baccy's to buy.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
You have Mac Baren's Plumcake and Germain's Plum Cake. Mac Baren has the Latikia. Not sure if there are any others out there. I have tins of both, but haven't popped them yet. Can't wait though...

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Plum Cake is a very good and amazing blend, however I could never get it to smoke cool enough for me to truly enjoy, at any temperature, in any pipe, after a whole year of having it. I was sad to see it go...

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
This is the description on the back of a tin of Mac Baren Plumcake
"Plumcake brings the thoughts back to old times, when sailors onboard the sailing ships filled their pipes with good, satisfying tobacco and having the scent of tar and saltwater all around them. Bright Virginia tobaccos mixed with Burley, a little original Mac Baren Cavendish and just a touch of Syrian Latakia. On top of this masterly made blend, original Jamaica Rum has been added to fulfill the impression. This blend is full-bodied and rich, giving you the taste nuances of natural sweetness added with a slight taste of smoke, Latakia and the distinctive aroma of sailor rum. "
Most websites don't mention the Latakia, but it's in there!

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Having a lovely bowl of it now.

Located the Mason Jar after some digging around.

It will bite if you smoke it fast.

This is the MacBaren one That I am smoking.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
MacB's sorry I didn't put that in the OP guys. I had a bowl last night after dinner, I had a shower and went to bed. Had today off work so I spent the morning in the bush, came home around noon ate lunch and had another bowl lol. I like MacB's Plumcake, I have never had any of the others mentioned

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
MacB's Plumcake has been on my want list for a few months. I finally ordered one tin on Monday, along with Golden Extra, Dunhill Flake, and Mc Clelland Christmas Cheer. Can't wait to open the Plumcake and let it sit for a few days airing. My mouth is watering already.

Status
Not open for further replies.