PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I am running out of my earlier supply of Plum Pudding and it seems to be completely different than the crumble kake I am now receiving. My first order of PP seemed to be broken flake. The pieces of flake are all the exact same thickness and so it is obvious there were not broken off a larger chunk or kake. Was PP originally a broken flake and then switched to crumble kake? I am not trying to start a discussion over whether or not the recipe has changed or debate a difference between tins and bulk, just curious. Here is a pic of the PP I first received from a tin. The rest of the orders I received were essentially the thicker chunks you see featured on P&C's current description. Curious on your experience.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Mine was really broken up and resembled a coarse ribbon cut with a few

larger chunks of Krumble Kake still present. It's easy to break apart and will

most likely always vary depending upon the roughness of handling.
Still tasty no matter what! :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's a tough call, the first pound I got was nice fat pressed chunks I had to break apart to fit into mason jars, and really nice and sticky dry. The next pound I got was alot more moist and broken up with most of it in rubbed out form. Same with Mississipi River. This is bulk only I've gotten though. I can't totally judge the taste as it's different when dry compared to moist, as the batches have tasted different when I got them before jarring them. Either way it's a good blend and considering it's a small batch tobacco recreating it perfectly each batch could be a problem. If you look at any small batch whisky it will state this right on the bottle, no 2 batches are exactly the same.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting, the variation in cut. Most of the blends I repeat purchase retain pretty much the cut from

the tin or bulk baggie before. I think it is probably good marketing to go for some uniformity, what

they call in food preparation presentation. If people enjoy a particular blend, they savor the experience

and want it to be the same each time, if possible. But if the taste remains good, that's good.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
My SPC Plum Pudding came as a crumble kake just like SPC Mississippi River did. Mine was a bulk purchase and not from a tin. My Plum Pudding was purchased in January 2013, so its 2 years old now.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I got some PP bulk some time back and there were hardly any cakes in the batch. My previous experience with it was when it was in an 8oz tin. Then it was more cake than shake.
I'm working through the bulk order now and am curious what the cellared tins hold.

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
Not to hijack your thread but I have been trying to smoke some spc mississippi river and i cant seem to keep it lit. It tastes pretty good, a little milder than i was expecting but I can keep it lit for more than a few sips. I am drying it for about an hour and rubbing out completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.