Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Since I'm on a Plug/flake kick right now, and am in the process of making one from raw leaf, I'll add my little bit of knowledge. A plug is tobacco that is stacked and pressed into a hard block. Some heat the plug while in the press, and leave it at 90-110 degrees for up to a month. Then it is aged for up to 6 month before we get it. Some fermentation takes place and there is a marriage of the flavor of the tobacco into one flavor. If they plug is sliced into 1/16' slices, this is flake tobacco.
Rope, I'm not as familiar with but I will tell you what I do know. With rope the tobacco goes through a process where leave is sprayed with a sugar or honey and water solution, then is made into "sausages". That's what the MacBaren rep called them in a video I watched. It is kind of like a cigar. There are layered tobaccos rolled tightly into a long cylinder and left to dry in a controlled temperature and humidity. Then they either sell it as is, Or slice it into slices or medallions. Hope this helps you a little bit!!!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Looks like Shawn gave you some good explanations.
I haven't tried plugs before, but from what I've read it is pretty simple.
Have a pocket knife handy? If so, you are set...
Slice your own flakes and rub them out. Now you are on your way!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have both plugs and ropes and prepare them much the way I do flakes. I take my scissors and just cut them up into small pieces, let them dry a lot and then gravity feed using the 3 step method.

akpipe

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2012
A sharp knife or Ulu works well; a little drying time and you're golden. :worship:

Aug 1, 2012
Good thought on the ulu. I have a couple and while I think of them for utility work, I didn't think of one for cutting tobacco. Thanks for the thought akpipe, I'll have to try it.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm smoking a flake of Jack Knife plug prepared the way cigrmaster described right now in a dublin and its a little piece of heaven. Hope your smokes end up as good as how this tastes!

Status
Not open for further replies.