PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Having been introduced recently to the pleasures of plug tobacco by a generous forum member and having since purchased several plugs myself I have a question.
The tobacco one buys in plug form, let's just say Sam Gawith's Full Virginia Plug, is it cut from the very same block/slab as the flake version of the same blend?
I ask as so often I read reviews that suggest that they are both cut from one and the same block/slab. However personal experience (short as it is) tells me otherwise as in every plug I have tried that also comes as a flake (broken or whole) I get much more intense flavours and in some cases (Erinmore Plug is a perfect example) I get to taste the actual tobacco better despite any topping.
Also the texture of flakes I have cut from a plug tends to be more dense. Is plug tobacco pressed differently from what they use to cut their flakes from? I am guessing much more pressure is applied to create the plug than the flake, but it is only a guess.
Right now I am enjoying some Kendal Plug and I find the taste to be miles better than it's flake 'brother' Best Brown Flake which is a tasty blend in its own right, it's just that it really 'sings' in plug form so surely it is different?
Any thoughts anyone?
Regards,
Jay.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have also experienced more flavor from plug than flake or ribbon cut blends, never really questioned it or thought about it, thanks for bringing it up

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I think it's an oxygen thing. Cut the plug and it will age/taste different than the plug. GLP Regents Flake and Temple Bar are supposedly the same just different cut. Great experiment here, I've go the Temple Bar, but haven't tried the flake. Anybody else tried the two and noticed a difference? Great question by the way.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Cut the plug and it will age/taste different than the plug."
Perdurabo, I'm afraid you have lost me there, can you please explain what you mean?
I don't quite get the 'oxygen thing' either. I appreciate more oxygen available to the burn will affect the overall burn rate and hence the flavour tasted, are you saying that because plug is more dense, that equals less oxygen therefore more flavour? If so, then that suggests they are pressed differently surely?
Having smoked Condor Flake simply cube cut from the flakes and Condor Plug simply shaved from the 'block', I can assert that the plug thus smoked wins hands down in the flavour stakes so where does the 'oxygen thing' come into that particular example.
Guyrox, if they are indeed cut from the same block then how come I detect a significant difference in flavours.
Am well puzzled now :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I don't quite get the 'oxygen thing' either.
I think he meant that the flake tobacco has more oxygen exposure to more of the tobacco while aging, not while smoking, although that certainly would be another variable.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
GLP Regents Flake and Temple Bar are supposedly the same just different cut.

I did not know that. I know that the constituent tobaccos listed are the same, but the flavors are very different to me. Must be the flake vs. plug thing.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I believe the oxygen hypothesis could be dead on. We know that tobacco will age better if you leave it in a sealed jar or tin, and I would think that a plug could very well have a similar effect on tobacco since the inner portion of the plug would be expose to a much slower cycling of oxygen.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Trying doing a Google/DuckDuckGo search on the blend name and the word "cart":
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22samuel+gawith%22+%22dark+flake%22+cart#hl=en&q=%22gawith+hoggarth%22+%22dark+flake%22+cart

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Having looked at several plugs today and their flake counterparts I am not 100% convinced they are cut from the very same block. Their dimensions differ considerably, particularly the 'height' of a plug compared to the width of a flake.
It's quite likely G. L. Pease's plugs & flakes (ready rubbed too no doubt) are one and the same as they are not really compact like say Erinmore Plug which is rock solid. Pease's plugs almost fall apart as soon as you look at them!
More input needed methinks.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll subscribe to the "oxygen theory." Plug keeps best because less tobacco is exposed to the air; flake and coin keep next best because they still have a little less exposure; thick cut next; medium and ribbon next; and shag, being cut very fine is most exposed. It's not that plug is better tobacco, it's just that that form retains the flavor longer and better. I still like the lazy pleasure of loose tobacco, but for shear taste experience, plug's best. That's my take, borrowing from the wisdom of earlier posts on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.