PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I ordered a clay pipe and a Condorlover suggested they're good for plugs. Since I just ordered a new pocket knife, it seems like a plug tobacco is in my near future. Researching them I've run into things labeled as "cut plug" such as Bosun Cut Plug (high on my list because it was recommended to me as a Lakeland that I may like). Am I right in assuming this is tobacco that was processed as a plug but cut by the factory?
I'd really like to get the little brick of tobacco just for the experience.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Cut plug will not be delivered as a brick, as you suspect. I've been looking for plugs myself and have found that in the US following are easily found:
Peterson's Perfect Plug

Wessex Gold Brick

Triple Play

Jack Knife Plug

Gaslight (listed as a plug but presented as a cake)
Ropes are similar to plugs in many respects and there are several from the Gawiths. Cakes are similar, but I've don't think they preserve flavors as well nor do they keep as well, imo.

May 31, 2012
I had just about settled on Gaslight as my first plug. Well, Jack Knife it is then... I think. Maybe.
Either one is a great choice, it mostly depends on your preferences,

if you favor latakia, go with Gaslight - which has the best tin art out there imho

if you favor straight baccy tastes - go with JackKnife - which is truly an archetype of the New World!
Both of them are masterpieces.
JKP was my introduction to plugs, which started an intense love affair, and I was somewhat bewildered and unsure at first, but now the plug form is my quintessential favorite!
If Pease had never put such a plug out on the American market, I might have not ever known them, or grown to love 'em so because from reading descriptions 'n stuff made plugs seem like the ultimate hassle --- yet, the ritualistic aspect for me ended up to also add great depths of joy and pleasure.

:puffy:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
JNP is terrific as is Gaslight. Also good are Petersen's Perfect Plug and Tripple play. Haven't got to Wesses yet.
You will need a serious, sharp knife for shaving and/or cutting plugs. I often found myself cutting up the whole block in advance, saving the slices to rub out later.

May 31, 2012
You will need a serious, sharp knife for shaving and/or cutting plugs.
True,

and if you really get into plugs, I suggest finding a Yankee Slicer because it is an invaluable tool and also very fun to use --- a wise investment!
Can be had on the cheap from the bay too!
6gnr0Op.jpg

lf5XmYy.jpg

zALNRVe.jpg

:puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I keep meaning to try the Days Work plug.
Plugs are probably my favorite form of tobacco at this point. They keep the flavor and strength well, are durable and preparation gives you the most options.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I picked up a Yankee Slicer a year or so ago on MLC's recommendation - the best way to cut plug, bar none.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I loved the tobacco in Conniston Cut Plug, but the floral stench had me fleeing the room. It was like the land of the dead if run by a greeting card company.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Yeh, some of these lakelands would sell a lot better in the US if they dropped that lakeland mess and just coated the plug in sulfur and carrion.
Roadkill Plug: An asphalt topped plug of dark fired kentucky, perique, and raccoon binder pressed by an 18 wheeler with a transmission leak.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I loved the tobacco in Conniston Cut Plug, but the floral stench had me fleeing the room. It was like the land of the dead if run by a greeting card company.
Naturally. That's a man's tobacco. :nana:
Odds are more folks have been raised tasting jolly ranchers than violet flavored gum. The flavors and aromas in lakelands are radically different from what most of us are used to. It can take a while to come back from the taste bud jarring experience of rose geranium tobacco. But this stuff is good...mostly.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Or just coat it in nothing.
I never was a fan of "Jolly Ranchers" (called "Gay Farmers" by all the kids on my block).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just got in 8oz of Samuel Gawith Kendal Plug and will be lighting some up for the first time real soon. It came in a brick, very cool looking. I made sure it has no Lakeland flavoring as I would rather eat a shit sandwich than smoke that stuff.
Anyone like the Kendal? I got it from PC.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That sounds like a treat.
I made sure it has no Lakeland flavoring as I would rather eat a shit sandwich than smoke that stuff.
I second this, commend it, and add that for me, the sandwich would involve Taco Bell and I'd still prefer it over the Flakeland Flavoring ;)

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Peterson's Perfect Plug is awesome tobacco. Cut the plug with a knife and then rub it out. I let mine dry out for a minimum of half an hour and then gravity load my bowl. Burns beautifully and is delicious with a lot of flavor.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
For a variant on that:
Cut a couple shavings a half-hour before you smoke.
Then cut the rest when you're ready to smoke.
Put the drier shavings on top.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I just got in 8oz of Samuel Gawith Kendal Plug and will be lighting some up for the first time real soon. It came in a brick, very cool looking. I made sure it has no Lakeland flavoring as I would rather eat a shit sandwich than smoke that stuff.
Anyone like the Kendal? I got it from PC.
Harris, let us know how the plug compares to BBF. The only thing holding me back from ordering some is that I have a ton of BBF that needs to be smoked. If the plug is better I'll stop stocking the flake and order some of the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.