PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
ufucbpbear.jpg

I remember not too long ago some discussion here about plug cutters, vintage and antique ones, more available modern substitutes etc. I am certain someone mentioned Alaskan ulu-s. After trying a variety of unsatisfactory other knives and kitchen gadget substitutes, on a whim, I threw an ulu with matching cutting bowl on a gift-suggestion list for this past xmas. Lo and behold, one materialized. I've been using it for plugs, cakes, flakes, ropes, "broken flakes" etc for several weeks now. I gotta tell y'all I AM REALLY IMPRESSED!! A little more practice with the wrist-use technique on my part, and I've got my go-to multipurpose tobacco processor! I superiorly recommend it! What's amazing me is that with this thing, I've gone from any of the above tobacco formats to exactly how I like to pack and smoke it in 5 to 10 seconds with the ulu and bowl, as opposed to several minutes before. And the bowl is a fantastic and attractive tobacco accessory... black walnut alternating with birch... gorgeous. AND, for those of you who appreciate this maybe as much as I do, the right ones are Made In The USA! I may actually have to get one for the kitchen. Bon tabac, fellow pipe-ists!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've had my Ulu and bowl for almost a year and could not be happier. The total cost was very reasonable. I also got the sharpener which is a breeze to use and keeps the blade perfectly sharp. If you are into plugs this rig is a "must have".
OG9eVle.jpg

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
@papipeguy

I also got the sharpener which is a breeze to use and keeps the blade perfectly sharp.
Could you post a pic, info, and or link on the sharpener pretty please?
I just used this again and am stunned by the ease and simplicity of it!!! Not bad for like a 25,000 year old technological concept!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Mine is like papipeguy's. I ordered direct from the factory: http://theulufactory.com/

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo cras
Did your artisan ulu come from Rolando Negoita at the KW/NE Holiday Event? They were pricey and I was sorely tempted, but NeillAR and someone else stole both of the ones I saw before I had the chance to claim what was rightfully mine. ;) Not only was the whole setup beautiful, artistic and functional, I was most intrigued by the fact Rolando made his own steel blades. They looked like the quality you see in those xxthousand dollar Japanese chef knives. If anything would make short work of a dried out Peterson 3P hockey puck, I bet his would.
hp

les

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
jerwyn, mine is much like this one. Yu can find them in most hardware stores. A couple of light strokes and then reverse the sharpener to take off any burs on the flat side and your done.
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-48036-Combination-Sharpener/dp/B000FKGGI0/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1484853896&sr=8-35&keywords=hand+tool+sharpener

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Those are all very good looking Ulus fellas and what a great way to make short work of cutting plugs. :puffy:

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Yeah I have one too, no bowl though. Works great. I use my wife's wooden cutting board,(whisper)I don't think she would like the fact I use it for cutting tobacco, but I leave a clean surface :roll:

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I love ulus, I use them for nearly everything, I have four in my kitchen alone. I have the one there, that's what we call the "tourist ulu" here in Alaska (though most everyone here starts with one of those). I make mine now like the natives do here, but my favorite ones are made by the elders. Since I make knives now though, it's easier sometimes to just make mine. Different sizes for different tasks, but they are wonderful knives. I have one that also has a point on it and not just a smooth arc, and it's great for skinning.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I use one very similar but it is made by Wustof and the handle is on the blade, rather than above it. It's called a mettaluna. I like that the handle has a lower center of gravity.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have an ulu and love it. When I was there, I had a very small budget and didn't want to shell out the extra $$ to get a US made bowl. All the lower and mid grade ulu sets came with Chinese bowls.
Had to edit again. It's the fever. Grr

Status
Not open for further replies.