PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Clickclik gave me a sample of this tobacco. It arrived today so I tried it tonight. Since this is a codger blend, I used a codger pipe, a whitehall rodesian pipe. This pipe has a shallow, but wide bowl. It worked very well. The tobacco was fairly dry, so it lit easily. If I was better at tamping, I probably could have used only one light. I found it very pleasing and mild. It practically smoked itself.
I am guessing that this was mainly a burley mix. Sometimes you just need a quiet blend that doesn't try to curl the hair on your toes. This fits that need. I am going to share this the guys at my pipe club. I bet lots of guys there will remember this blend. I really need to try other blends like this in the future. It certainly is something that I enjoy.
Sorry, I couldn't find delicate taste like prunes or other things better smokers than I can find. But I had and enjoyable time alone to think. Great blend.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Glad you enjoyed it John!
Thanks for taking time to post your thoughts!
The shaggy ribbon cut is so fine that it doesn't take long to get fairly dry, even in a ziploc in a couple days.

I'm jarring the rest of my 8 oz tin for future enjoyment!

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I remember buying Plow Boy when I was in high school,we would smoke it before school and use it as dip during school,True Blue smoke or chew was another good one and at .35 cents a pack we could afford it as well.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I was sent some of this as well, and I neglected to post about it. For that, clickklick, I apologize! Thank-you for your generosity!
I found it a bit harsher than I expected from something of that vintage, but if it is a primarily burley blend than it would stand to reason. I also may have smoked it too fast, so there's that as well. Not something I will devote my life to find more of, but I'm definitely thankful for the opportunity to try it!

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I revisited Plow Boy just recently and thought I'd share the experience. I was grilling up dinner outside and tossing a ball for my dog, enjoying the fleetingly cool evening here in southside VA. My first bowl of Plow Boy was in a small meerschaum with a conical bowl. This time I loaded up a briar pot that predominantly burns English blends. The experience was much more enjoyable the second time around. Whether it was the briar or the wider bowl the flavor was less harsh, more mellow with a hint of sweetness underneath the predominant burley flavor. I'm looking forward to the next time it comes up in rotation. Thanks again, clickclick!

Status
Not open for further replies.