PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
40F1E5E9-A798-4F3D-84BE-30754A8F461B-19868-00002950437F824D_zps4d28c474.jpg
400 HP Tantum Wheel Tractor pulling a 40 ft plough. Getting field ready for Rice.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Thanks so much, Brad, for posting the picture. Our farm is in Ontario (Orillia ) and it grows alfalfa, corn and sunflowers. My three grown sons think it's the most beautiful spot on earth.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Sure miss farm life. Now I'm trapped in the concrete jungle. Always have the memories though. Glad to see some people can still survive workin' the land!
It's a beautiful life.
Dot

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Great picture Bradly! I still have at least a month before I can start working in my personal garden, but did start germinating seeds last weekend.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Nice pic! Thanks for sharing. We'll be breaking ground here on the farm soon to start planting this year's Indian corn crop. We're hoping to start plowing this weekend, weather permitting. We're actually hosting a "Plow Day" for the local antique tractor club. I'll try to post some pics of some of the antique tractors after the event.
Below is a pic of dad on his 1951 International Farmall "Super C" that he recently restored.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My first "driving lessons" were on a Farmall.
That's the one virginiacob! Lots of good times with that tractor.

Mud pulls, hay rides ... memories!

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
cobguy,
I know what you mean. Growing up on the farm, my first "job" driving a tractor was with a 1936 Farmall "A" which had the manual-lift cultivators. My dad and uncle put me to work cultivating sweet corn. It was always a pain lifting and lowering the cultivators but other than that, it was a fun little tractor. Next I graduated up to a Farmall H and helped out plowing and disc harrowing. When they finally put me on a Ford 7600, I thought I was in the big leagues!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Being on the tractors was always fun.

Being on the ground for some full-pull detasseling on the other hand ... youch

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I miss the farms I never knew, although I bet I don't miss all that work. My dad spent all his summers on a

sand-scratch farm in Michigan (shallow sandy soil), no electricity, no running water, an outhouse. My wife

grew up on a cattle farm in Northeast Missouri near Iowa and the Mississippi River. I've spent short visits

both places. The "crick" where I bathed in Michigan was just about cryogenic it was so cold; freeze your

body for posterity. Or freeze your posterior. Keep growing that rice! As they say of Charlestonians,

they are just like the Chinese; they worship their ancestors and eat rice every meal. I love rice, though

I grew up near Chicago.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I've done my fair share of ploughing and planting. Had an old Massey that blew heat off the engine into the cab, it was a moving convection oven in the summer. Even with the doors off. Still it was a very fulfilling job. Being outside, that fresh earth smell.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Virginia - I had a Farmall just like your dad's. Sold it 10 years ago and have regretted it ever since. It's a damn fine tractor.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I was driving the tractor ploughing and bush hogging when I was 9 or 10 years old....after all the years on the tractor, learning to drive a truck with 3 speed on the column was a breeze....loved all the pics..thanks for posting

Status
Not open for further replies.