PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
This item is for sale on smokingpipes.com:
002-099-36241.jpg

While I think it's beautiful and seemingly well-made, I don't understand the concept.
(I smoke mainly flakes and English/Balkans in small cylindrical pipes or large-diameter pipes, respectively, so I suppose my question is, "What's the point? What do you smoke in a horn?")

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
You could smoke anything you wanted in it. I agree with your assessment. Nice, but not my style.
Of course, that assumes I have any style.
Winton

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
It seems to be such an enormous chamber, and with the canted bowl, I'm afraid I would set my clothes on fire. Maybe that's just my perception and they're more stable than they look.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I think what it mostly comes down to is the graceful lines of the shape and the fact it lends itself to impeccable straight grain and birdseye everywhere. With the right block of briar, it can be an absolute perfect showcase for grain.

As for smoking one, that can be tricky. I've smoked cutties that were nearly as awkward to smoke, and you really are going at it blind when you touch a match to the tobacco. Even so, lighting is the main drawback, they smoke fine once you get them going.

quaffer

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
If you read the description at smokingpipes.com, you will see that the chamber is only 0.8 in. by 1.45 in. Pretty typical in the pipe world.
I think they look great, but I have never owned or smoked one because they look like they would be a pain to light. Plus, I bet the build-up on the top of the rim would accumulate quickly.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I can't see myself getting one of those, but that would look great on a mantel...

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Call me crazy but it looks like the pipe is at a 90 degree angle. You should be able to see the top unless it is too massive.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
While I like the looks of horns, and can appreciate the fine grain and birdseye they display, I can never see myself smoking one. It looks like it is just too much of a pain in the ass.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Not my style of pipe at all. It is most certainly a gorgeous pipe but if I bought it, it would just end up collecting dust.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I appreciate the look of horn pipes, especially those by Bo Nordh, they are some of the most attractive pipes ever made. However, as others have said I cannot see myself ever laying down the money for one because they aren't practical smoking instruments, they are more like briar art.

Aug 1, 2012
I love the look and if I had the spare cash, I would probably get one. They do tend to be rather pricey for my budget so that might be quite a while.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Seems to me one would need a fire proof shirt to go with it . But having never owned one it is just a quess . Cigarmstr is right on target with his assessment to my way of thinking .

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
....nothing wrong with rim char.
Looks like your suposed to smoke reclined; and lit by a maidan.

Status
Not open for further replies.