PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I just got a Stowe, VT Briar workshop pipe in the last lot of estates and it's got the signatures (Nachwalter and Jemelka) and a 4 on it. Are the numbers grade designations or shapes or what? Just curious. Here's a pic. Hopefully I get caught up on personal restos soon and can get to it.
nach-1-600x450.jpg

nach2-600x450.jpg

Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice pipe! Looks somewhat like a Joh's freehand tomahawk shape I received as a Christmas gift.

I like the Vermont origins of your pipe. I hope someone as more information. The stem is especially

attractive.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I wish I could help more, but I'm frankly stumped myself. I own six of the Stowe-era Briar Workshop pipes and I can't see much rhyme or reason to the numbers. It seems as if the better pipes have lower numbers.
1. I have a pipe marked "1" that has lovely, nice straight grain, but also a possible fill (I'm not sure); another one is marked "01" and has really nice flame grain and birdseye (no fills).
2. In contrast, I have a "5" that is stained dark, has so-so grain and a couple of obvious fills and a "4" that has no fills, but so-so grain.
3. Then there's one that has amazing, angel-hair straight grain, but is marked "3"
4. Finally, I have one pipe with nice grain, no fills and a very light stain (like Dunhill Root), but NO number whatsoever.
Whenever I get around to putting in an order of tobacco from Carole Burns, I'll have to just ask her. She was Nachwalter's wife and worked with the Briar Workshop and later with Nachwalter when he went out on his own with Pipeworks and Wilke.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I should add, the numbers don't seem to correspond to either shape or size, either. Nice looking sitter, by the way. Can't tell from here, but the grain looks clean and should clean up nicely.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
You could try going straight to the source and just email Elliott.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the info. The pipes that I have seen don't seem to have a hard-and-fast grading system but one can always hope. The grain is beautiful with straight grain most of the way around and a bit of birdseye and flame that you can see on the left side. Either way, for the price it was well worth it.
@Easygoer: Now why would I go and do an intelligent thing like that? He wouldn't be the first carver I've emailed for more info. I'll have to do that if I get time in the next few weeks.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Congrats on the pipe. Hope it is a great smoker for you. Being new to pipe smoking it was Pitchfork's pictures and discussions and pictures in previous forums that got me interested in Nachwalter. I really like his shapes and have two and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.