PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Please feel free to list the phone numbers and current stock history of all tobacco and rare estate pipe locations here. Don't be shy now, it's only a couple of phone numbers. The more difficult to obtain the tobacco is the better, as the tobacco profiteers and hoarders need as much of a head start as possible. Don't worry if you really like the blends in question, there's always more right! So please act now and let's get as much rare tobacco onto ebay as fast as we can, if we all pitch in I think we can clean out the B&M's in no time!

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Really? Think you are not happy about the generosity of one member trying to share his local stock.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
54520272.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of my favorites are available online from the usual suspects, pipesmagazine Forums sponsors, although

occasionally you may have to wait weeks if a blend is really popular. I thought I had a real rare item in some

Haitian tobacco my sister brought me. But when I mentioned it to my local independent pipe shop owner, he

smiled and said, "Was it leaves tied in a knot?" Yup. So someone has to go there, and probably hire a guide

to go bring it back, but it can be attained. Nat Sherman 536 used to be gotten on a trip to Manhattan, but now

spokingpipes has it online. So good luck with your honey hole, but all my secrets are revealed.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
philobeddoe, I am very much in between here. For starters I feel your pain. Apart of my inability to get sought after tobacco is exactly because of things like this. To just blast availability on one of the most trafficked pipe smoking forums cannot be done without ramifications. The EBay factor, as well as the cellar holder, are chief amongst this. This will only drive the already scare items further into oblivion. Having been gifted a fine tin of a sought after tobacco I could turn around and make a killing. Just because I would never do this doesn't mean that 100 others would also refrain.
This is going to be a shit storm. I wish the original post had been a little more temperate and poignant but again, philobeddoe, I understand why you are pissed. Other fine members may not get why you are upset but I offer the following: There is a relatively unspoken practice of not sharing active Ebay items that one is perusing. Does that make us jerks? I do not think so. We want the ability to have a chance at a desirable item. Doing the footwork to find the piece should be worth something. There will always be someone with more money and force than I have at my disposal.
Maybe the poster was truly tring to be kind? It's possible. To ascertain certainty of either case, at this point, is premature. I will say that in the process he broke a half dozen forum rules and have run the B&Ms he listed out of inventory leaving the local patron out of availability. This isn't going to be pretty.
j/B

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
At least the request wasn't for "your honey's . . . . "
I will trade my wifes for the right pipe lol. J/K She is pretty stubborn though and wont stay on the corner.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Another example of how the Road to Hell gets paved. The psycho hoarders will be out in force, snatching up the usual suspects and rubbing them over their private parts.
It's up to the B&M's to decide if they're going to sell off their stock or reserve it for their local clientele. Peretti, for one, takes care of its regular customers and doesn't sell off the hard to get stuff to anyone who calls.
Thankfully, I'm not a big fan of the blends that are targets. I've gotten to like Stonehaven, but I have enough to last for a couple of years at the rate that I smoke it. But if I couldn't have it, I wouldn't miss it. I think that a lot of this is the lemming effect.
As for selling on eBay? From the recent thread concerning eBay tightening its policy, I wouldn't hold out much hope of making a killing that way.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
sable, can local vendors refuse sales to certain people based on where they live or where they are from? If this is the case I would be intrigued as to what they might choose to do.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I would think there would be several things to consider if I was a B&M owner.
If I had a local customer that was a Stonehaven lover. I happen to have a good stock of it. I'd make sure that local guy never wanted for any before I sold it on the internet. The main reason being word of mouth.
I would encourage and support my local customers. There is a whole community that brings business in those kinds of situations.
That being said, I'm going to sell my stock at a profit to individuals who are paying.
Rare stock sitting on my shelf that doesn't move isn't making me a dime. If that rare stock is bringing in a local customer once a week. That person is probably going to spend a dollar or two on other things. If he goes away happy, he's going to share his experience with people he knows.
A smart business owner is going to make the decision based on what is going to keep his business making money. If he's really really smart (and smokes a pipe), he's going to do what keeps his business making money for the next twenty years.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Luckily, I know how to switch from one screen to another rather quickly using ALT / TAB.
Otherwise, the ICU charge nurse that just stopped in to return some blood would have gotten an eyeful! :P
I have a "honey hole" opportunity that I'll share.
P&C will undoubtedly have an IPSD sale with freebies this next month and at the same time

all McClelland blends will be 10% off ... I plan on TAD'ing pretty hard!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
sable, can local vendors refuse sales to certain people based on where they live or where they are from? If this is the case I would be intrigued as to what they might choose to do.
The short answer is yes. In the case of Peretti, I buy their blends and have an account. So when I called them to buy some tobacco at a time when Stonehaven and Penzance had appeared (and disappeared in under a minute) at some major on line stores, I asked them if they had any in stock and bought a bag of each. Then I mentioned on this forum that Peretti had Stonehaven and Penzance in stock and as soon as the flood hit them, they stopped selling it in order to preserve it for their regular customers. On line stores don't seem to hold any in reserve for their regulars. They just sell it as fast as it comes in. But if you're a B&M that doesn't have an on line presence it makes more sense to service your community, even if it sits on the shelf for a while longer. Keeps your local customer base coming back.
Los Angeles is a desert for this sort of stuff. So I'm going to have to find it elsewhere if I want to have it in stock. I'm not a fan of the new BS, nor of Penzance. But I like having it around to share with others who can't get any ahead of the psychos. I'll bring Penzance to my pipe club meetings and I'll usually let folks take a bit home to enjoy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
ae1pt,
A few months ago I wrote about a comparison that I made between the Germaine BS, WhiteKinght, and a sample of 35 year old BS that shaintiques had gifted me. My conclusion was that WhiteKinght was much closer to the old BS than the new reissue, allowing for the changes that happen to such aged tobacco. I'm in total agreement with you. WhiteKnight is much better.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I keep coming back for the posts and opinions... not the pics, definitely not the pics. 8O
On a more serious note, I am fairly certain all three of these shops were already listed on this site via the top navigation bar under Pipe Store Locator. Hardly secret info. Regardless of this run, the next time these blends are released those who do the foot work will be rewarded and the lazy or busy will miss out.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
sooner or later, I just knew a thread with "honeyholes" in it was bound to be a winner.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
This thread is awesome. lol Fortunately (or unfortunately depend on your view) up here in Kanuckastan my local B+M doesn't carry legendary blends like Stonehaven, Penzance, or any GLPease blends so I have no idea what I'm missing.

And while we have epic honey holes up here they are covered by skidoo suits for 8 mounts of the year. :( lol

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
blue, I'm sorry that your B&M is unable to offer the goods. But there is a solution to that problem which doesn't end with you missing out, ya know... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.