PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
There's sooooo many Pipe manufacturers and makers, it's difficult for me to make a choice without worrying I might be missing out on something from somewhere else. So I'm hoping for some help from some folks that've been around these wonderful pipes and can share some help/thoughts/recommendations.
Essentially I want:

Shape: Full Bent Billiard (or similar)

Make: Briar

Finish: Dark/Ebony, Rusticated/Sandblast

Budget: under $180(USD)
ALSO, the pipe should have an ample bore/airflow. I've read that good airflow can make a big difference and I'd like to have a pipe with it.
So far, I'm really liking the Savinelli Roma lines of 614s and the Peterson Dracula 221 Sandblast.
Thank you!

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
Hi namuna,
I have a Sav 606KS Oscar which meets all your criteria. It smokes like a champ and feels good in the hand. Got it for @$90.
Good luck!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Roma 614 looks nice, Savinelli's are known for their open draw. Cup O'Joes has Savinelli on sale right now. I have to agree with the above, in the Savinelli world I would consider shapes 602 and 606, which is the larger of the two.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Here you go!
Wide open draw. Even more open if smoked without the rock-maple filter. Great price, you could get two for $180.00, or through the extra $90 into TAD. Wonderful dark blast, black acrylic stem, and classic look.
Brigham Chinook: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Brigham/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=110290
Truly, finding a dark fully bent blasted pipe is pretty easy... it's finding THE dark full bent blasted pipe that YOU WANT which is the hard part.
Good luck, and post pics of whatever you pick up!
-- Pat

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm still more geared towards the "jaw hanger" shape of the 614 (and the like from other brands/crafters). After some further digging I found the Savinelli Vaniglia 614 and even though it's "smooth" and not rusticated or sandblast, it "calls" to me and wouldn't you know...NOBODY's got it! I've literally scoured ebay, google and all the reseller links in the "newb links" thread! :crying:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
namuna, please look at the BC Caprice 1304, a ebony full bent billiard, in black rusticated with a bright silver-colored band

and a tasteful raspberry colored stem. It's just over $70 at tobaccopipes.com. It's a lot of pipe for the money, and I have

road-tested it for you and can recommend it as a good smoker.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If you're willing to bend the "billiard" requirement, you may want to look at the Peterson Kinsale series. Both the XL12 and XL17 (the Kinsale versions of the Sherlock "Baskerville" and "Watson," respectively) are full bend types. The XL12 in particular is something of a billiard crossed with a Rhodesian. They're both available in a nice rusticated finish, and there's a whole bunch of them at smokingpipes.com for $116 (I think they just restocked the series).

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have a Savenelli Roma Lucite 614, it's an awesome pipe! For the money, it's hard to beat! I also have a Peterson Dracula, but mine's an 03. It's a great pipe as well! I'm a big Peterson fan, but if you made me pick between those two pipes, it'd be really hard not to pick the Savenelli.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions, after staying up until 2am continuously browsing pipes...I finally pulled the trigger on the Savinelli Venere Rustic 614. And for TAD, I got some 1-Q and Plum Cake. Everything was ordered through smokingpipes.com
002-033-13344_1.jpg

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
And I've got my lovely Avatar up!...That's my actual Savinelli I've got the green guy smoking too! :puffpipe:

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
namuna - there are 2 avatars. One for your profile pic, and one for your forum pic.
For the forum avatar, click on your username on one of your posts. Then in the upper right corner of the page, there is a button labeled AVATAR. Click that and then upload your pic.
Good luck.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Thanks av8scuba, I finally figured that out from looking through the stickys. :puffy:

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
And congrats on your new pipe! I think we have similar tastes. I've been trying to pull the trigger on a Savinelli Caramella 628 rusticated, but I'm having a hard time finding one in stock anywhere. ...so the search continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.