Please Maintain Your Cake or This Could Happen to You!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Here is an example of poor cake maintenance. There was recently another thread going around about cake build up and maintenance. This is an example of poor cake maintenance. Cake should be roughly as thick as a dime inside your bowl. You can maintain it with reamers or just the right pocket knife, but you have to be careful not to remove too much. Some people think that you should never wipe out your bowl and that doing so will inhibit cake formation, but I for one do wipe my bowls out and still build cake. The reality is that cake builds while you smoke and as long as you aren't scouring out the inside of your bowl, it will build. The pipe in this photo is the flip side however, this is of a pipe that was probably never cleaned. As a restorer of pipes I often come across pipes with so much cake that they are almost smoked closed. I know they are your pipes and maybe some of your will be buried with your pipes, but for the future generation of pipe smokers and restorers for that matter please clean your pipes and maintain your cake or this could happen to you!

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
I know there is a prevailing consensus on "keep it a dime to a nickel's thickness", but I eliminate, with extreme prejudice, any little bit of cake I see building up in my tobacco chambers. Briar is good because it's briar.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Part of me can't help but wonder if the previous owner misunderstood the "dime's thickness" instruction, and was attempting to achieve "dime's radius"... 8O

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Part of me can't help but wonder if the previous owner misunderstood the "dime's thickness" instruction, and was attempting to achieve "dime's radius"...
Diameter? Sorry.. lol

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I received a meerschaum pipe from my father-in-law that was closed up even worse than that one. I don't see how you could smoke it closed, but he manage to do it. I initially started going at it with a reamer and realized I would be hours at that rate. My trusty Dremel and a steady hand made short work of it.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
That cake is out of control! I figure when I see a crazy cake that the pipe must have been a good smoker.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Diameter? Sorry.. lol
Heh - that was actually my first thought, but then I saw the size of the thumb in the pic and revised it down a little... :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Pipes like the one showed is what some of the old timers do to their pipes. They smoke them till they cannot fit any more tobacco in them, and then throw them out.
neverknowsbest, you might want to try letting your cake build to a dime and you may notice you get a cooler more flavorful smoke that way, I have always found it to be true. The cooler you can smoke the pipe, the better tobacco will taste. Having a cake provides a cooler smoke.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I'm hoping you at least attempted ONE smoke out of that bad boy before going to work on it?!!?!

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
I had an older gentleman that came into a tobacco store I worked at awhile back and he asked me about some good smoke and we stuck up a convo. We proceeded to light up our pipes and I watched him very carefully sprinkle some baccy into his pipe. Intrigued, I asked what he was doing and he said he always had trouble getting baccy into his pipe. The damn thing was so compacted with old cake that the hole was no larger than a small ice pick. I was so amazed at the state of the pipe I told him to meet me back at the store tomorrow and I brought my own pipe reamers so I could help this old dog out.
CLEAN YOU PIPES. Please. For us youngins. We want your pipes. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.