Tags:   

Please help!!! S.O.S.

(29 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by misterkrey
  • Latest reply from misterkrey
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone. My name is Krey. I'm relatively new to smoking pipes. I started just a few months ago but have smoked probably around 100 times. My pipe has cracks around the hole. I don't know what this means, if it's a burnout starting or what. Please help!!! All help is very much appreciated

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

I don't know how to post pictures. Do they need to be on a website?

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Krey, welcome to the forum!! I think you'll find a lot of help here, once folks can diagnose your problem from photos.

Here are the instructions on posting pics: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/instructions-for-posting-pictures

Can't wait to try and help.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first question would be; which hole?

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

Thank you! That helped so much. I was so confused ha. []

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

[]

[]

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. sergemoat

sergemoat

Login to Send PM

You might be smoking too hot, but it also seems like the pipe may have a weak spot due to the grain.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 for too hot... May I ask the manufacturer and type of wood?

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might be smoking too hot, but it also seems like the pipe may have a weak spot due to the grain.

+1 That's what I thought too.

What's the pipe made of Krey?

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

So should I not puff so often? I'm still kind of new so I don't know all of the lingo yet. Is there any way to repair it and will it affect anything besides probably getting another pipe soon?

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

It's a Macqueen Churchwarden and I believe the bowl is made from ash

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might consider smoking more slowly.

Does it get really hot while you smoke? Too hot to hold?

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It looks like it should still work fine since its around the draft hole; you may end up sucking more bits of baccy through if it's a filterless pipe. You only need to worry about replacing if cracks appear within the bowl itself.I was taught that it should only smoulder in the bowl; i.e. smoke should only appear when you take in a draw. That helps me slow down and keep it cool.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

Yes. Sometimes it feels like it's burning my hand. I was wondering if I was smoking it too fast but I wasn't sure if it was just because it was the wood just getting warmer and warmer over time

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Before I forget; welcome to the forum! Also nice pictures with the site in the background.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. chawz

chawz

Login to Send PM

That looks like a softer wood judging from the grain, I don't think it's your technique, I would get a briar instead.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

Thank you guys so much! I was getting worried earlier because I was afraid I had done something wrong and ruined it. Also I have one more question. Based on the pictures does it look like I have a good cake going or when I use the tool am I scraping too hard?

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would also say that a nifty and thrifty option for a replacement is a MM cob; there is not a sweeter smoker for the price anywhere.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, the crack is running with the grain, at chamber base, near the draft hole. I'd agree you're smoking too hot. Also, ash wood pipes will not perform as well as briar. I'd recommend investing in a briar pipe. It'll enhance your smoking experience. You could try to repair this one using pipe mud, but I'd just get another pipe. Cob pipes are great too.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

Ha thank you guys. I noticed that the site was in the background as I was uploading it
    I was planning on getting a briar pipe but I didn't want to spend the extra money because it's my first pipe and I wanted to make sure I enjoyed it as much as cigars before I spent the money. But I do love it. It's my go to relaxation thing

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

I will definitely look into getting a cob pipe. I was thinking about one of those too but I wanted to get a churchwarden because you don't see them very often. I'm excited to get into something like this because I get to try all different tobaccos and pipe materials.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm glad you're enjoying our hobby so much!
    Based on what you've given us, I agree that you're likely smoking too hot (which usually means you're smoking too fast). Also, a briar pipe will be considerably tougher than the wood you have right now. Alternatively, a corn cob or meerschaum pipe would work. I don't think the pipe is necessarily ruined, but I would give it a rest and try not to smoke it on a regular basis in the future.
    Also, what tobacco are you smoking? Some blends smoke far hotter than others. And how often do you smoke?
    There are hundreds of online guides to pipe smoking, buying pipes, maintaining pipes, etc. Plus, this forum is a great resource for information of all kinds. I understand that you don't necessarily want to spend a lot of money, but if you plan on taking up pipe smoking it's essential that you have at least a small rotation of pipes. They don't all have to be expensive briars, as cobs are dirt cheap and have remarkable smoking properties (far better than the ash you are smoking).

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

that might be an olivewood pipe? That whitish area with the star cracks is definitely the wood burning. Are you scraping the cake too frequently, preventing it from building up? I don't pull out my reamer until a pipe has had a few dozen bowls through. What blends are you smoking? Pipe mud, along with the half bowl trick till a cake is built up on the lower bowl might do the trick.

hp
    les

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking a black cur cavendish and I smoked today for the first time in a couple weeks but when I first got it I smoked it everyday for about 2 and a half weeks

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

How exactly do I cake it? I usually just use my pipe tool to get out the ash and excess tobacco. Is that the right method?

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cake is just the carbon that builds up inside the pipe you have to you a knife or reamer to really remove it; so if your just using the dull spoon on your pipe tool; you're not scraping much off. Generally after removing the tobacco I shake the leftover ash around the bowl of the pipe. That seems to help keep the cake forming evenly as it hardens. You'll want it to be about the thickness of a dime and ream it when it gets to be about as thick as a nickel.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It looks like Olive wood to me, so smoke it slower mate. Just an uneducated guess on my part.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Krey said that the pipe is made from Ash... which has a hardness similar to oak, but won't handle heat as well as briar.

Krey, you can probably find a nice briar basket pipe from your local B&M for a price similar to, or cheaper, than your MacQueen Churchwarden was.

Good luck!

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

misterkrey

Login to Send PM

Thank you guys so much!

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   adforbes, mawnansmiff, cosmicfolklore, jrbjr, ray47, cossackjack, bnichols23, chasingembers, dukdalf