PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
Hi guys

I must be the newest member as i just joined. very excited to be here by the way

i'm just about to order my first pipe online from Smokingpipes.com as i believe their prices are good

just can't decide between these two
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4w3xkbxz3mj36t/Screenshot%202014-10-14%2014.22.01.png?dl=0
Both are Sav 614, its just the matter of the look. also the alligator pattern in 20$ more expensive

Please let me know your opinions

Cheers

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I like bents and would have no problem selecting either one if they passed my tests. Both "catch" the eye. On the screen I see nothing indicate that the "fit" not good. Being unable to fondle prior to purchase would preclude my buying either them. I really like to feel the pipe in my hand before pulling the trigger. But, that's just me.
If you are limited to buying pipes on-line I would only add that "Smokingpipes.com" seems to have a good following on the forum. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks mate

yeah i have to buy online as everything is very expensive in Australia and there is not a wide range of products available
would you please tell me which colour and texture combination of the two is better looking in your opinion?

cheers

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Functionally, they should be equivalent, both being the same shape from the same company. So it's just aesthetics. And in that, our opinions really don't matter - you're the one that's going to hold it and smoke it. Which one speaks to you more? As my oldest, wisest, and dearly-departed tobacconist told me when I bought my first pipe - "Pick one you like, otherwise you'll never smoke it."

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
For me it would come down to stem material.The one on the left looks to be Lucite which is what I prefer.I'm not sure about the one on the right.It could be Lucite as well.As for finish I prefer the alligator.I'm sure you would be well pleased with either one.In the end it's your choice to make.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks puffy, the stems are both lucite i believe. and if i'm not wrong lucite is the same as acrylic which is the harder one which doesnt oxidise and i prefer something which requires less maintenance

so yes i believe the both stems are the same material. its just about aesthetics. thanks for your opinion. my wife also says get the alligator one. i personally love them both. just leaning slightly towards the other one though

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
The rusticated one for sure. Not the reason for my choice but it's also 20 dollars less. For the same price of the alligator, you get the nicer looking pipe (in my opinion) and a couple tins of tobacco.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
If you like to be noticed, the alligator is very eye catching.
Both colors are acceptable to me. If I was experiencing your dilemma I'd would pass the decision to my wife. She's the one that has to look at poking out of your face. Give her the choice. Let her participate. You'll get some points, I think.
But, if I must, that alligator is very nice looking pipe, not too ostentatious but still eye catching. Twist my arm and I'd vote for it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Australia! I don't suppose I could impose on you to call me one Sundays (Saturday my time) and give the National Football League scores. I could make a killing with my bookie.
I suppose you've heard that one before. Enjoy your summer, my winter is just beginning up here (Alaska).

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
@antbauers, thanks for your opinion and also don't get me started on tobaccos mate

here in Australia there are only few brands mostly Australians and 50gr sells for 50$ due to high taxes

im buying my first pipe but honestly im not sure how im gonna manage to buy tobaccos

i will try ordering from American website. they are really cheap comparing to what we have to pay here

i heard they may go through the customs. but if they get busted they either get confiscated or i have to pay the tax on them which will end up costing the same price as here in Australia. So its really a living hell for smoker here

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
@Warren, thanks mate for your opinion

Also im not into football much, weird i know for and aussie

but i might be able to help you in future if you tell me what need to be done ;)

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
@trailboss, honestly i would if i could afford it :D you wouldn't believe how many times it came to my mind

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I agree on the general consensus here, I own both in different shapes I've never had a bad smoker with a Sav but I would go with the wife's opinion, my Alligator is a 207 and I always get compliments on it, especially when I smoke it with my Crocs on! :nana:

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks guys, i decided finally. whatever the wife says :D

im just waiting for smokingpipes.com to tell me whether i need the adapter for this pipe in order to smoke it without filter so i can go ahead and purchase my first pipe :D

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
If it were me I'd go with the Aligator over the Roma. From my experience the Aligator feels much better in hand and you won't be quite as suseptable to rim darkening compared to the red stained rim on the Roma. I have one of each in the 305 shape.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
@mattsem, You are welcome. Also, every Savinelli I've ordered that was a filtered variety of pipe came with filters and an adapter Included if that's of any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.