banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Please help indentify this pipe!

(30 posts)
  1. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

Apparantly it has 'wellent' stamped on it. That is all I know but I may be able to buy it for very little.

So please feel free to take an accurate and or edcated guess. My first thoughts were 'it looks kinda like a Peterson'.

Many thanks,

Samon

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. gtclark

gtclark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like a Wellington pipe to me. Google should return plenty of info.Pipedia Entry

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, almost certainly a WDC.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the input so far guys!

I have just bought it for £12 delivered with the Sheffield made tool and little baccy pouch. I'll do some google-fu to find out about the brand and see if I can identify the model. When it arrives I'll report further!

I'm guessing I got a good buy?

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like a Wellington pipe to me

That was my first impression, looks like a decent deal.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

What is the general opinion ofthese pipes? Good smokers,, well made, valuable/collectable etc ?

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cheap Peterson knockoff with a faux p lip bit.

It may smoke well for you, in which case it is priceless and monetary value means nothing.

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it is a WDC from the early 20th century , it will be more than just a Peterson counterfeit. WDC was considered worthy of making BBB pipes for the US market. In that era BBB was at or near the top of the English heap, so WDC's selection by BBB really says something about WDC quality.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cheap Peterson knockoff with a faux p lip bit
    That's a little harsh............
    I have several old Wellies and they smoke great. I have several old Pete's that smoke like shit..........
    I personally don't care for the P-Lip stem, but many do like them. I'd say you got a deal for 12 pounds shipped, I think the Sheffield tool is worth that alone.
    Welcome to the forums by the way, hope you stick around and tell us how she smokes!!...........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Wellingtons so much I have at least four of them so I always have one in the rotation. They come in jumbo, medium and small sizes. I believe they were produced until fairly recently. (1980s?) They older ones seems to be of better briar quality. they maybe a copy of the Peterson system pipes, but the Wellingtons themselves were also copied. You can find Italian made "Wellpipes" on eBay from time to time.

Wellington trio:

A "Wellpipe":

Another jumbo Wellington:

You can probably tell I'm a fan

Yello Bole Chesterfields are another variant worth seeking out.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cheap Peterson knockoff with a faux p lip bit.

I don't know about the "cheap knockoff part" but I like the "faux p lip bit" on mine, more comfortable than some of my fishtail bits.
    Here's mine,

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. xrundog

xrundog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WDC was in business well before Peterson made their "system" pipes. I can't prove it, but it's certainly possible that Wellington pipes were around before the system Petes.
    If you look through Civil War photos, you will see what looks like the occasional well pipe. Are they Wellingtons? WDC or KB&B pipes? I don't know. But they are almost certainly American pipes.

Life is good. But it's better with a pipe.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you look through Civil War photos, you will see what looks like the occasional well pipe. Are they Wellingtons? WDC or KB&B pipes? I don't know. But they are almost certainly American pipes.

I'd be grateful if you could link/point to one of these. I've seen plenty of clays, meerschaums and German-style pipes, but never a photo of a modern-style pipe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This looks like a prototypical modern pipe from the civil war era, though not so much a Wellington.

A google image search does show a lot of Alpine looking bowl shapes and a lot of clay pipes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, tuold. That's amazing. Do you think that's briar? As far as I know, the briar pipe dates to no later than the 1850s, so it's certainly possible. Thanks, again, for posting that.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. xrundog

xrundog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pitchfork, take a look through the Civil War section of photos at http://www.shorpy.com/image/tid/46 There are a lot of them.

There are all manner of pipes to be seen. Even meerschaums I think.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found a few pics of briars after a quick Google search, but mostly clay. Interesting results though.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

Anyone got tips for cleaning the 'system'? Should arrive soon.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson patented the system pipe in 1890. The plip in 1898. By 1922 both patents had expired. If anyone can show my a Wellington or WDC pipe from pre 1890 with the same system and faux plip look I will withdraw my comment. It may very well smoke wonderfully. Doesn't change what it is.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

Right, the update now it has arrived!

It is in fact a 'Wellent', not 'Wellington'.. still no idea about that name, never heard of it and cnnot find anything about it.

Real briar though, apparantly, so can't be too bad..?

Probably smoked once imo, if that.

The stem has seam marks from casting and feels cheap.

It doesn't appear to have the Peterson 'system' either, just a straight through and through. Clean though and the wood is solid, not able to finger nail dent it.

Neither does it have the smoke hole on the upper of the mouth piece, just the standard.

The leather baccy pouch is alright, 'Made in England' and with a latex feeling inner. And the pipe tool is made by 'Richards, Sheffield England'. The tools are a bit loose due to slack spring tension but I have a lot of experience with knife and tool making and restoration so I might be able to fix that.

So!.. What's the damn verdict? lol, I'm scrathing my fat bald head here.

Thanks in advance gent's!

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. xrundog

xrundog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seeing those pics, that looks like a fairly late model pipe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. xrundog

xrundog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really didn't want to wade through those Civil War photos, but I did anyway. I will sometimes go to great lengths to prove a point.
    I see three pipes in this pic. The two on the left look home made. The pipe on the right toward the front has the look of a store bought pipe. But it's not quite a well pipe.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/6186?size=_original#caption

The fellow in front here has what looks like a meerschaum with a long probably home made stem.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/6186?size=_original#caption

Couple more pipes here. The one on the left might be store bought. Still no well pipe though.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/3432?size=_original#caption

Wow! Lots of pipes here. The officer in back has a meerschaum. The one at front left looks like it might be a well pipe. Not definitive though.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/3173?size=_original#caption

Lots of pipes in this Custer pic. Still no well pipe.

http://www.shorpy.com/George-Armstrong-Custer?size=_original#caption

That's the best I could do for now. Tantalizing but certainly not proof that well pipe existed before the Pete System. When (if) I find something, I'll make sure to post it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Samon, dont worry about the brands, if the pipe smokes good its priceless. Welcome to Pipesmagazine, where we encourage each other's PAD and TAD.

Chris
    The Pipe Monk

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  24. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

Oh I'm not bothered about the brand, I just like to know the fine details when I go full sperge on things.. lol pipe collecting being at the peak of my spergtastic adventures.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

Two bowls of aromatic through this guy and it smokes a treat! really good and I'm very happy.

Still wanna find out more about 'Wellent' though..

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one of the large Wellingtons that I purchased years ago. It smokes ok, it is just too big of a smoke for most occasions. It may be the P-lip. I just do not care for a P-lip that much on a heavier pipe, being somewhat of a clencher, it is just to uncomfortable. Mostly though I think it just is overall ungainly for me. I like to smoke my gourd Calabash pipes but mine are on the smaller side and very light, but I imagine some people would feel the same about them.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to disappoint you but it is not a 'Wellington' nor is it a 'Wellent' but it's a WELLBENT. Along with TRUBENT these were cheapo basket pipes that sold aplenty in the 1970's.

I actually have one very similar to yours, gifted by a pal and it's a surprisingly good smoker.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  28. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Who Made That Pipe" has Hollco international as the maker (or importer) of the Wellbent pipe.

Pipedia's entry on Hollco is ----> Here

This is after a few Google searches, so hopefully it's correct.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

More important than brand, does it smoke well?

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

Looks unsmoked by looking into the shank , you have done very well .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, paulfg, cortezattic, cshubhra, pitchfork, georged, agnosticpipe, malicev, railman, sumusfumus, jerrynyc, catyrpelius, jiminks, olkofri, warren, ssjones