Please Give Advice for an Aromatic Pipe.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
So I am having a huge dilemma. Once and a while I want something sweet a cherry or blackberry blend. I have a cob I have been using but really don't care for it. I am looking for a pipe to enjoy aromatic blends in. Problem being is it is hard for me to find a cheap pipe that is large enough for my tastes and I am worried about using a Ferndown for aros. I know that is the snob in me that is preventing it. I was looking at some Peterson pipes in xl90 and x220, but the ones I like are around the price of a Ferndown and having trouble justifying 200 for a Peterson to smoke aros in.I have Ferndowns lined up in production for a year or two and that is why it is hard to justifybspending that kind of money on anything else. I could really use some advice.
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

Mar 1, 2014
The stock answer is "320".
If you want to look further than that, pretty much anything here should do.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?insidediameter=90&price=-100&type=pipe&sortOpt=priceAsc&page=1

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Well requirements would be a group 5 sized bent pipe such as a billiard or apple.. I just find bent pipes more comfortable.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
The 320 does not give enough bend. I don't find clenching comfortable.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
If you want a large and full-bent pipe, then Peterson's Kinsale or Sherlock Holmes series are for you. SH Original, Baskerville, Watson, and Lestrade are very comfortable to clench.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Well as I stated I have trouble justifying a 200+ Peterson when I can get a Ferndowns for that. Sherlock Holmes pipes are in that category. There are the Kinsales but ideally I want to be u der 100.00 if possible.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Pipes and numbers....need more Briars to know what's going on. Every briar I have is from a basket. Great pipes all of them, but I need to go ahead and buy a pipe in a specific group, in a specific size, so I know what's going on when numbers are thrown around. Interesting thread.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Check out the Bob Clark pipes at Pipestuds consignent shop. I have no experience with these pipes, but I know Pipestud and he would not be selling them if they were crap. You have to scroll down to see them.

http://www.pipestud.com/301/39522.html

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Johs and Neerup have some fairly large pipes, and alot of them can be had at or around $100.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
It does not have to be a new pipe, but preferably cleaned and sanitized. I don't have the ability to clean a used pipe properly where I am living. I have checked out a few places that refurbs pipes and checked out the bay. My local shop told me today there will be a Peterson trunk show in a month or two and I get great discounts. Btw if I could find a large enough bent basket pipe I would be all for it. I have even thought about a falcon,

Mar 1, 2014
https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?shape=5&shape=35&shape=34&shape=6&shape=23&shape=7&shape=36&shape=8&insidediameter=90&price=-100&type=pipe&sortOpt=priceAsc&page=1
The pipe locator at Smokingpipes.com is a powerful tool. Check it out.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Ha ha. A pipe for aromatic tobacco you silly goose. Its not often. Maybe once every couple months, but I don't want to shoot my good pipes lol. Its like I am a great chef but once and a while I want that Dr appt canned cheese nachos from a ballpark or bowling alley, but not on my fine China.

I'd say get a bucket pipe. Pipes and Cigars has lots of cheap pipes that seem like they'd be in the bucket category. Plus, I think it's good to have a few cheap pipes on hand to compare to your more expansive briars. Sometimes cheap pipes can out perform your luxury pipes, IMO.

I have five estate pipes that I demoted to my aromatics. But, sometimes I'll smoke an English in them to get that Frog Morton effect going on.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm just surprised you can't find something in the "less than $100 price range" that you mentioned. For $100 you can get two decent pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.