Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Please Don't Hate Me

(27 posts)
  1. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was gifted some tobacco from a generous forum member and in the tobacco that was sent was some Black House. I have really been trying to like the stuff. I hear how it is so good and that it is one of the best blends out there. I am just not feeling this blend. Maybe my flavor palate hasn't acquired the taste for this blend yet. And I wanted to be a black blood

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha, to each his own, I guess. If you really hate it I'm sure some fine member here would be willing to take it off your hands. Or of course you can revisit it after a while.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL, I got a tin of it last yr. I tried so hard to like it. Smoked probably 10 bowls or so out of it over a period of 6 months or so. The tin, with the rest of the baccy, found its' way to the garbage. It is a fine, flavourful smoke, obviously made out of high quality stuff, just not my thing is all.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

No need to feel the least bit guilty over that because it's all a matter of personal taste and not being a sheep that follows the flock.
    The same goes for pipes. I'd rather get hold of a nice Kirsten than a Dunhill Amber Root any day.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never ever throw out tobacco I do not like, waste of money. I would trade it or mix it with something else to hide the taste if it was that bad. Still I think trading it is better all the way around, someone would like it and would possibly have a tobacco you like. I just can't justify wasting tobacco at the prices they charge.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

I kind of dove off the deep end making Black House the first balkan that I tried. It was a little overwhelming to me at first, but I find myself reaching for it quite regularly and feel it is really beginning to grow on me. I do get that a lot of tobaccos are love/hate, but this one has been a taste I seem to be acquiring. I just tried FMOTB the other night too and although it is quite different, I found myself referring to it as Black House's sweet little kid sister...

Mike.
    - - - - - -
    Rookie, but learning.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try it again later. For me it was love at first puff and I could easily say.... "quick! Send it to me, me, me!!!!" But honestly I have another small tin unopened that I'm saving for when I get a new freehand soon (waiting on that blasted tax return still!) So I really don't need it. I've heard so many here say, if you don't like it put it aside and go back later. Give that a try... and if you still don't like it, trade it away or send it away to someone else who hasn't smoked it by all means.

Cut me... I bleed black.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You just suck Bigboi. WTF is your problem? What? You don't like Black House? Shame on your sorry ass!

Look.

It;s not a big deal. If we all liked something, we'd all be smoking the same blend.

I suggest putting it aside, jar it, try it later.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, I don't like Penzance, I don't like Squadron Leader, and I don't like dark VA flake! Strike three? Nah...there are so many blends and such little time!

Russ
    Pipe smoking is true relaxation. Everything else is work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hey, I don't like Penzance, I don't like Squadron Leader, and I don't like dark VA flake! Strike three? Nah...there are so many blends and such little time!

WTG coalsmoke! I don't like Penzance, I don't care for SQ. It's all about what floats one's boat

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[You just suck Bigboi. WTF is your problem? What? You don't like Black House? Shame on your sorry ass!]

LOL. Now that is funny

I guess I don't know how to use the quote function either. Epic fail x2 today

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had some guilt for firing up a bowl of Navy Flake and didnt care for it. I am going to hang on to it for a year or so and give er another try. I also felt guilty for not liking Mississippi River. I suck.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Bigboi, I hope you know I'm just jabbing you.

It doesn't matter!

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

BTW, jar that Black House. It;s good stuff and I'm betting you'll like it later.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I must really suck, because so far I don't like Virginias or VaPers; I guess I will never be one of the cool kids. (just kidding). I do like Black House, but I like Larry's Blend better, and it is considerably less expensive.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have noticed it is different tasting in different pipes. Try a few other pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BB:

Tastes change, pard. Most of us start smoking aromatics and then our palates take us to England, the Occident or that hell-hole of Virginia. For me, VAs are right up there alongside root canals. And while I love Perique mixed with my English blends, a VaPer normally sends me reeling towards a toilet. But, I'm still trying. Every six months or so I try a Virginia, a Virginia with Perique or anything served up as a circle/disk/rondel/roundel or whatever the hell you call them.

Take what you have left, jar it up and put it somewhere dark and cool for 18 to 24 months. At that point, if it still doesn't agree with you, put it away for another 2 years and then try it again. Who knows what will happen?

Right now, at this point in my life, I'd slap a child, strangle a kitten and kick a hole through a stained glass window for a bowl of Penzance, Black House, Plum Pudding, Nightcap, etc.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fnord,
    I am glad to see I am not the only one who doesn't care for VaPers or Virginias. As you say, my tastes may change, but I have pretty consistently preferred English/Balkan blends for 10 years or more.
    John

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. eazye77

eazye77

Login to Send PM

I'm with you bigboi. I don't care for BH either. Got a sample of it with my order and the taste is not my style. I think I might go ahead and trade it off. Not going to force myself to like it like I did with my sample of Squadron Leader. To this day I still don't like that tobacco either. Oh well!

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have found that if the blend is of a category you like i.e English blends and you don't like it right away, it would behoove you to try it in different pipes. You would be amazed at how the right pipe can make all the difference. Also you may want to put it away for a few months and then revisit. I have done that and then fell in love with a blend a few months later.

Now if English blends are not your thing, then no matter what the pipe or the amount of time, will get you to enjoy it. I personally don't care for English blends so do not smoke them. I would not be a fan of Black House no matter how good it was. I am very thankful that there are so many people who smoke English blends, that way they keep their greasy paws off my beloved Va flakes.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't generalize and say that any blend is one of the best blends out there. When judging a blend you should keep in mind what type of blend it is. Now I would have a blend and say it's the best aromatic or the best English blend etc. though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You would be amazed at how the right pipe can make all the difference.

I'm just starting to learn this lesson. I am finding that even if a pipe "smokes English blends well" it just might not work for a specific blend.

By the way, I just tried Black House last night and I'm in love. I didn't want to because I hate following a group but them's the breaks. If you hate it, that's one less person competing with me for some.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth...yes I knew you were jabbing with me. I take no offense. Also, I am actually going to order some to hold onto for a while. Try it in about a year.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Good idea, Bigboi. I think Black House will mellow a bit over a year's time.

I'm actually not a big fan of English and Balkan blends. I only have two English blends I'm stocking ATM -- H&H Black House and Dunhill EMP. I like orientals, so I've been toying with the idea of trying a couple of the McClellnad Grand Orientals (the ones without latakia), but haven't pulled the trigger as yet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I have a big order I am planning out..I need to decide if black house is going to make the cut or not on this order.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've read this topic a couple of times, it kind of tickled me a little.

Bigboi, I think you're probably in the wrong place if you expected to be disliked because of your likes/dislikes in tobaccos. Half the loonies here like Aromatics and some of them are even OK guys....well, a few of them are

The only thing that matters is your taste, not everybody else's. I envy the hell out of the guys who find joy in cheap aromatics you can find in bulk everywhere, and wouldn't be a damned bit ashamed if I were one of them....imagine, being able to buy your favorite tobacco anywhere you go, for under $30 a pound, as much as you'd care to load in a truck....Pretty sure that's a description of Heaven on earth in the eyes of many.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I knew I wasn't going to be hated. from what I have learned from this forum is that personal taste differs from one person to the next. Really I posted the topic because noobs like me can sometimes feel uncomfortable to voice if they don't like a tobacco or not. I am not saying I ever felt intimidated but I can see how some people can. But, for the most part, for those that are the frequent flyers around here I feel like you guys are Jedi Knights and I am just the young padawan trying to learn how use the force that is the ways of the tobacco leaf and finding the tricks of the smoke!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was actually surprised to find that I liked Black House as much as I do. My palate is still developing, and I got the sense from the various posts about BH and the Black Bloods that it's a blend that doesn't inspire neutrality.

It's all good - if you're not ordering it, there's more for the rest of us!

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   derfargin, agnosticpipe, irish, ericthered, phil22, 12pups, trailboss, gregprince, purplemotoman, grouchydog, owen, jah76, livsnjutare, edgreen, sparks