PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renostarman

Lurker
Jun 9, 2018
I'm a man of wealth---OH nevermind, thinking of something else.

I'm not new to pipe smoking--although it feels like it mostly. I just restarted after FINALLY swearing off the cig's--(ya, all it took was a heart attack). I started in the Navy in?? oh 1973 or thereabout. smoked through the 70's into the 80's Then like a fool, I got busy and impatient and started on the cigarettes again. Butttttt I'm back on the pipe now--and what a marvelous and enjoyable ? pastime? habit? indulgence? hobby, whatever--I'm enjoying it so much I can't believe it took me so long to dig out my old pipes.

And thank God I didn't throw out my collection--$2-3-400 bucks for a pipe? OMG the world passed past me by when I wasn't looking.

I think it's terribly unfair to charge such prices--WHO would ever think about taking up smoking,(something the world says not to anyway) when It might cost $200 to 300 just to get started with a nice briar,an assortment of tobacco's, and cleaners, ashtrays etc etc etc.

Even on a lowly sailor's pay and as a college kid I could afford a Peterson, Comoy, Savinelli, etc. I can't now-or won't. I doubt a college kid today would consider smoking a pipe. Anyhoo--sorry for the rant.

Just really wanted to say hi everyone, glad to be here.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Welcome aboard! Yeah, I started with pipes in '91 and prices have skyrocketed since then. Thankfully there are lots of estate pieces that are affordable and need restoring!

Jan 8, 2013
There are still plenty of good pipes being made under $200. There are good Savinelli, Peterson, Nording, Stanwell, etc., even at the $150 range and even less. Take a look at some of our sponsor sites and you'll see, especially Smokingpipes.com and Pipesandcigars.com. And welcome to the forum. :clap:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Welcome to the forums Sir, as for the undersigned,the day when I got seriously into the pipes,I never could have been imagine how costly this' Hobby can get' especially when one starts upgrading reselling and buying new pipes ,even if leaving alone tobacco prices,

Paul

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome aboard. Nice that you hung on to your pipes and have them to go to for nicotine dosing w/o inhalation.

Rescue pipes are how I developed my 'rotation' and I've yet to smoke a briar pipe that has not been previously smoked.

Of course, many of my 'rescues' are old Grabows, so, we all know they're pre-smoked.

The pursuit of pipe smoking bliss doesn't have to cost body parts.

Excellent values are available in both pipes and tobacco.

If the average bowl contains 3 gm of tobacco, the average ounce provides you with 8 or 9 bowls. I spend less than $2.00 per ounce for my tobaccos. $ .25 / per bowl. A MM Pride? Cost you more for shipping than the pipe, get a couple.

Granted, since I've been smoking my tobacco from a pipe, I've spent more money on the 'hobby' than I might have otherwise spent on any form of tobacco, the difference being, I've enjoyed every bit of it, rather than feeling vaguely guilty, self destructive, and trapped.

renostarman

Lurker
Jun 9, 2018
Thank you ALL--Yes I have discovered estate pipes--and have won a couple of "auctions"-AND yes Mr. Newbroom I have ?? five MM's, GREAT value and they smoke great too imo. I wish they came with better stems==but I intend on learning about building my own pipes so maybe I'll buy some good stems for my MM's. It is REALLY super to join a new forum and be welcomed like you all have greeted me. I was being a little dramatic to make a point, on that first post-but I do know quality can still be affordable.

Thanks for the welcome guys!
[It's what you learn AFTER you know it all, that really matters.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forum renostarman. Oh if you think this hobby (that's what we are calling it) is expensive, just ask around how much tobacco costs globally.
There are many economical options for great smoking pipes, especially estates.
This is a great helpful forum, ask away!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Glad to see you pop in the thread, reno! You've already seen how screwy (ok, some, not all) we are. Tnx for putting up the backstory for those who haven't seen you yet!
BTW, re estates, one thing I didn't mention earlier is one of Bill's Mantras (there are quite a few), # 3B -- "Cheap is good, free is better." The cheaper I can get something good, the better I like it. Besides, I can be an attitude-y old codger, & I know what I like. };)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Don't suffer sticker shock. I have some finer and higher priced pipes, but many (of my too-many) are medium and lower end. Estate pipes, sale pipes, and some of the standard factory pipes at the low end, Savinellis and Stanwells, can be had at affordable prices. You just have to be patient and shop recreationally, only buying when the price is right. PC offered some lovely blast Tsuge "tasting pipes," full size straight billiard blasts, for $39.99, and I bought one of those. Some of the Missouri Meerschaum cobs now come with acrylic stems, cost a little more but not much. You can coast a long time on pouch tobaccos, and they now come in other-than codger blends, and some of those are pretty good too. So welcome, and if you have questions, ask away. We have some good knowledgeable members here, good resource people. I too am a Navy enlisted vet, 1968 to 1972, radioman and journalist (quite a story on how that happened). Later worked for what was then the Veterans Administration for a few years until I found a writing/editing job where I was for thirty-some years.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Welcome to the Circus...

tumblr_obxdga3Ld71vr2kl0o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.