PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickcrum

Lurker
May 6, 2014
SO...

I havn't been smoking pipe for even a year yet. The first tobacco i bought was the tried and true CBW. I decided to branch out for a bachelor party i went to and bought three other kinds out of the jars at the tobacco store. One kind was an "Irish Cream" which seemed to smoke hot as a dickens and the flavor was okay. Next was an unknown to me but it was almost empty and he said it was selling crazy fast. I forget the name but i took the last of it and wasn't THAT excited. FINALLY I came across one labeled "1-M Vanilla" and i gotta say i love this stuff. I'm not looking to explore anything bolder, stronger, or anything like that YET. All i want to know is... why do i like this one better? what are the qualities about this tobacco that may not be standing out obvious to a new pipe smoker and finally...... what are some other tobacco's to give a try since i like this one. Thanks ladies and gents....

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Taste and smell are powerful senses, and they're highly personal. What you like may not appeal to someone else, so it's often anyone's guess why a particular blend works for you as opposed to the others. Without a little more information on the other tobaccos and your reactions to them, I'd say you prefer vanilla flavoring to Irish Cream as a starting point... which isn't necessarily surprising, as vanilla is one of the most popular flavoring agents in world cuisine.
Given the labeling, the blend could be a repackaged version of Lane's 1-Q, which has a fairly strong vanilla component. 1-Q is also one of the most popular blends sold these days, with good reason - it's mellow, flavorful, and has a great room note.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Phred you couldn't have said it better.Along those lines i did really enjoy lanes bca and a few others in the lanes category.If you like that vanilla taste try exploring a couple of other lanes tobaccos as well.When i first started out the lanes baccys were the go to tobaccos.Keep puffin on brother.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The important thing is that you found something you truly like. That's huge in my book since some people search seemingly forever to find a blend they really love. It takes time and a lot of matches to learn what it is about certain mixtures that you like or dislike. I'm a Latakia fan and I like a lot of it in a mixture but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what the Virginias and orientals do for it. So you see, it's like the old cliche', different strokes for different folks.

rickcrum

Lurker
May 6, 2014
Okay i am thinking i have learned it is an Altadis 1-m Vanilla? Ring any bells? I am trying to nail down for sure that it may be Sutliff company. The whole dynamics of tobacco companies is confusing to me. It seems you find a tobacco company flavor you like (Vanilla from 1-m) and then.. no wait.... 1-m is a tobacco that atladis company makes.... or no wait 1-m is part of atladis which is actually Sutliff Tobacco? oh lord. Oh well.... I will continue down the rabbit hole.

rickcrum

Lurker
May 6, 2014
I also have learned it is one of Atladis's top selling aromatics.... so I guess i like aromatics? I just read a vanilla maple that sounds tasty too, anyone have it?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Well, you like this particular aromatic at least. I'm not familiar with 1-M Vanilla (it still sounds like a clone of 1-Q, so you might pick up a sample of that for comparison), but I have tried Sutliff's Molto Dolce, which has a number of fans around here - again with the vanilla, but with additional caramel and honey flavors.
The nice thing about bulk blends is, you can often order just an ounce or two (or pick up just an ounce or two from your local B&M) - that way, if you don't happen to like it that much, you're not out a lot of cash and it won't take that long to smoke through the rest of the sample. The variety of flavors you'll encounter as you explore tobacco is amazing - I'd recommend doing a bunch of reading (starting with the Featured Articles over on the right-hand side of the page) to see what sounds interesting, then ordering in some samples to try out. I would not have expected, for example, to be such a huge fan of English and Balkan style blends, or that there could be such a variation in flavor among the 'codger Burleys' sold in pouches at drugstores back in the day (Prince Albert, Sugar Barrel, Sir Walter Raleigh, and the aforementioned Captain Black).
Welcome to the rabbit hole... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.