PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Hello. My name is Stanley. A few weeks ago I was browsing the tables at a church rummage sale and saw this well worn leather pouch. I picked it up and discovered it was a pipe pouch complete with pipe, an old square nail, some old tobacco inside, and some pipe cleaners. I made a decision right there that was momentous and would plunge me into a whole new world. Outside of smoking a cigar with my son-in-law upon the occasion of the birth of his first child and my grandson, I had never smoked anything in my life. I plunked down the twenty five cents(yes, cents) and went home with my new find. I contacted a friend who has smoked pipes for a number of years and asked him for direction and advice. As a craftsman woodworker/turner I am very familiar with wood and restoration. I set about cleaning and bringing this pipe back to its original beauty. I had picked up a beautifully crafted Vauen briar with a Meerschawm lining. A truly incredible find! Let me rub it in once more - for twenty-five CENTS. My friend invited me over and he introduced me to some Shenandoah he had picked up in Georgetown just outside Washington DC. That was my first bowl and I have not looked back. I have also tried some Frog Morton and Mac Baren Plumcake. Life is too short and as I am crowding sixty I am glad I have taken this step. The internet abounds with great directions and the video reviews on Youtube are invaluable to the newboy. I find this site has some great articles and is very informative. It also opens me up to a whole new group of people who discovered long ago what I am just being introduced to.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Welcome Hunter, I came back after 40yrs, it has been a blessing for me, this site and its people are a shinning example of Humanity, young, middle aged, men, women, wonderful place, enjoy. The old cajun

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
Welcome! If there's one thing I've learned, pipe smokers in general are nice, generous people.
Smarter people than me will have good advice for you, but I just wanted to say: have fun!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
A Vauen for a quarter! Amazing! Welcome to the group. There are lots of links to instructional videos on the left margin of the page and they really are helpful.
+1 on the pics, too. We love pics around here.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome Stanley. This place is full of friendly and generous people who go out of their way to help the new guy. In regards to pictures, if you are like me, it will be a bit of a challenge. Do not be afraid to ask for help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.