PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am giving it another try on restoring shine to my stems (god I heard on the radio show that a shine and ream costs around $25 in the States, it's getting so frustrating right now that I would be willing to make an effort and pay for my best pipes if that were an option).
What's different this time? Firstly I managed to get my hands on oxyclean like people in the US use - previously I used sodium bicarbonate. Also I bought an adaptor for my electric screw driver, so it can fit a round felt and cotton wheel, so I can polish.
Method: I bathed the stems in oxyclean for a couple of hours. Some recommend over night but I was inpatient. Then I cleaned the stems with water, and removed the white stuff on one of the stems (the other did not present this issue) with the abrasive part of a dish sponge. I worked my way with micro mesh starting from 1500 grit up to 12000 grit - 2-3 minutes on each pad. After that I have applied with a rag this german "briar polish" that says "removes soiling and gives shine". (here I am not sure that this is meant for stems as well, or just for the bowl). Finally I have polished using the electric screwdriver for about 10-15 minutes.
The result is fine, better that what I have managed in the past with my previous method and available tools, but it still doesn't look like "on TV". I am missing that high thick lair of shine.
Some people suggested in the past that carnauba wax is the way to go with stems. I have found out that some niche local hardware store has carnauba wax sticks in my town, but I would imagine that in order to load the felt and cotton disks I need a higher power tool than your house handy screwdriver. Higher power means heat ... so I am afraid I may burn my stems.
Any advice is appreciated !

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am missing that high thick lair of shine.
All I used on this stem was Magic Erasers, Barkeeper's Friend, and toothpaste. No buffer was applied.
20180613_180543.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Embers' technique is what I us when cleaning a seriously oxidized bit. And, such can be done while reading, watching the Dumont or talking with the dog.
Hard to beat toothpaste when a fine grit is required.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am not sure what Magic Erasers are, but I am pretty sure I can't get them around here.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Magic Eraser is a household cleaning sponge marketed under the name of Mr. Clean. There may be other variations of the same product where you live, I'm not sure.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Embers Ok, I just tried the tooth paste on the felt and wipe with cotton rag. It does give a shine, but I am assuming that the gloss comes from "beekeeper's friend" which I asume is bee's wax? How do you apply that?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Try rubbing it down with literally a drop of mineral oil. Not as "buff" as carnauba or other waxes, but is nice. A good matte black is the usual result.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Embers Ok, I just tried the tooth paste on the felt and wipe with cotton rag. It does give a shine, but I am assuming that the gloss comes from "beekeeper's friend" which I asume is bee's wax? How do you apply that?
Barkeeper's Friend is a fine abrasive. Only use your thumb to buff the toothpaste, and buff it until it's gone. Leaves a higher shine than applying mineral oil.
bar-keepers-friend-all-purpose-cleaners-11514-64_1000.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
In addition to the other suggestions, wet sand up to 2000 paper, and buff rubbing the stem against a micro fiber cloth, you'll get a good shine, no power tools needed.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.